What type of dog is the best kind for a family and for allergies?

We are looking for a good family dog. Are there any types that are good for young children, 4 & 2? My oldest has allergies, are there any good breeds that will not bother him so much?

We are looking for a good family dog. Are there any types that are good for young children, 4 & 2? My oldest has allergies, are there any good breeds that will not bother him so much?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What type of dog is the best kind for a family and for allergies?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of dog is the best kind for a family and for allergies?

What type of dog is the best kind for a family and for allergies? Dog Breed Discussions
      We are looking for a good family dog. Are there any types that are good for young children, 4 & 2? My oldest has allergies, are there any good breeds that will not bother him so much?

What type of dog is the best kind for a family and for allergies? Dog Breed Discussions
    • most likely your chances of finding a dog that completely eludes your son's allergies is unlikely, try going with a short hair dog, pugs and such dogs are nice because they are easy to handle, have short hair but beware that they do have breathing problems. I hope this helped:)

• Below is a list of hypoallergenic dogs. If you are looking for a hypoallergenic dog for your family any of these dogs may be a good match. Remember, no dog is 100% hypoallergenic, but people with allergies frequently react to supposedly hypoallergenic breeds differently and can even react to individual dogs differently. If your allergic family member has a reaction to a particular breed of dog that family member may be fine with dogs of another breed that is considered to be hypoallergenic. The following is a list of dogs considered to be hypoallergenic:American Hairless Terrier Airedale TerrierBasenjiBedlington TerrierBichon FriseBorder TerrierCairn TerrierChinese Crested (hairless)HavaneseKerry Blue TerrierMalteseMiniature SchnauzerPortuguese Water DogPuli Shih-TzuSoft Coated Wheaten TerrierSpanish Water DogStandard PoodleStandard SchnauzerTibetan TerrierToy PoodleWest Highland White TerrierWirehaired Fox TerrierYorkshire TerrierKeep in mind that all dogs may carry small amounts of allergens or can pick up natural allergens in their fur when they go outside. To keep the allergy risk low even among hypoallergenic breeds, you should bath and groom as frequently as your vet or authorities on the breed suggest. (If a hypoallergenic dog's skin gets too dry from too much bathing, it make flake and cause allergic reations) If your family is super sensitive to pet hair you should be careful about having your pet groomed by a groomer with other breeds in the shop. To reduce the amount of loose hair on the dog, specify to your groomer that your dog should be rinsed after being clipped. (Most groomers bathe before clipping in order to not expose their clipper blades to marmful skin oils) Many groomers also spray a dog with a perfume after bathing which many asthmatics and allergy sufferers are allergic to. If this could be a concern for you ask your groomer in advance not to use any perfumes or colognes on your dog

• Poodle,Cockapoo,since Children are still very young it's better to get a smaller dog.You don't want to get a Labradoodle or Goldendoodle cause they are big,hyper,and need alot of work.Oh, and they do shed.

• You'll want to go with a short haired dog, less shedding and less pet dander. A really good breed for the family life is a beagle, they are short haired but make sure you give him a bath regularly (once every one and a half weeks any sooner then that and any dog will get skin problems) Keep him well grooms, use a brush and brush him everyday helping to stop the allergins from getting air borne and try using an hypoallergin shampoo on your dog and perhaps an air purifier that is designed to take allergins out of the air in your home. Beagles are very energetic and need a lot of exercise but with two young kids that have tons of energy like that you'll be very well off. They can howl when they see a rabbit or another small animal but that is because they are a tracking dog, your beagle will enjoy doing this and it doesn't happen often. I myself had two beagles when I was still living with my parents and I have to say they are the best first time dog to get. They are still living with my parents and I miss them both dearly but they are wonderful dogs. Check at a pet store about hypoallergenic shampoos and sprays for your home. Most major pet stores carry them. I hope this helps you out. Good luck and have fun finding your furry family friend.