What type of dog that can live on a large property?

I live on 40 acres of land and am looking for a dog that does has the guard dog instinct and will not run away. I don't have a fence nor want to build one because I don't live near any main roads and fences make me claustrophobic. I am looking to get a…

I live on 40 acres of land and am looking for a dog that does has the guard dog instinct and will not run away. I don't have a fence nor want to build one because I don't live near any main roads and fences make me claustrophobic. I am looking to get a…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What type of dog that can live on a large property?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of dog that can live on a large property?

What type of dog that can live on a large property? Dog Breed Discussions
      I live on 40 acres of land and am looking for a dog that does has the guard dog instinct and will not run away. I don't have a fence nor want to build one because I don't live near any main roads and fences make me claustrophobic. I am looking to get a larger dog so if anyone has any input on the matter please let me know. Thanks.

What type of dog that can live on a large property? Dog Breed Discussions
    • German Shepherd. They have a high prey drive though, so may go chasing after smaller animals, but they are extremely loyal to their owners, and have the natural instinct to protect.

• Rottweiler. They are very protective of their family yet they have a sweet side. They are also very large so they could help you with any maintenance around your property.

• 1 BullmastiffNumber one on our list is the Bullmastiff (right), a breed that is actually 40% Bulldog and 60% Mastiff. A typical Bullmastiff is loyal, courageous and intensely loyal to its family, with a very strong protective instinct. Along with biting, they tend to defend their territory in an unusual way - using their great strength to knock intruders over, and pin them to the ground! Or they will defiantly stand in the intruder's path and won't let them pass. Bullmastiffs do have a natural wariness of strangers, but love spending time with their family and dislike to be left alone. Learn more about the Bullmastiff (History and Health Issues(#1 in 'top ten best guard dog breeds')

• German ShepherdRottweilerDobermanAny of the MastiffsAny of the Bull TerriersAll dogs will roam. It's their instinct. You'll have to install some kind of underground fence thing.

• Oh, you have so so so so many options. Any herding or guard breed will love you forever for giving him all that land, and working breeds (most of them) will be your constant companion wherever you go or whatever you chose to do. Research your breeds, find your favorite.

• Best choice for me is a Belgian Mallinois, Labs are too friendly thus less protective instincts, German Shepherds has lots of diseases in its genes like hip dysplasia, Rottweilers are also prone to hip issues and Bullmastiffs, well they are good! Good for 7 years life span because the bigger the dog, the shorter the life. Belgians are highly trainable and has good "game" . But for a 40 acre property, i think you need several.

• Well, any dog can be trained to come when called and not wander.Also, although any dog would LOVE living on your property, here are the dogs that were bred to live on a ranch!BrittanyEnglish Springer SpanielOld English SheepdogKuvaszGerman Shorthaired PointerEnglish FoxhoundKomondorLeonbergerGordon SetterPointerAnatolian ShepherdBlack and Tan CoonhoundOnes that meet both the guard instinct and could live on a ranch...German Wirehaired PointerLeonbergerKuvaszAnatolian ShepherdPresa CanarioCaucasian Mountain DogGerman Shorthaired PointedAiredale TerrierKarelian Bear DogTibetan MastiffFila BrasileiroKomondorBernese Mountain DogShiloh ShepherdPuliCheasapeake Bay RetrieverAlaskan MalamuteGood luck!

• I believe a German Shepherd would be best for you, but if you get any dog you must train them to stay in your yard, they won't just stay on their own. (Of course there are some that naturally stay, but still. That is not predictable.) You could use an electric fence and train a dog with that, and if you don't use that you have other options to train your dog to stay in the yard.Also, a Great Dane does not have a guard dog instinct, but it would just scare an intruder just by looks. y'know, how people are scared of big dogs like Shepherds, Imagine a Great Dane!