Are Airedale's a good breed of dog for older adults?

I'm interested in getting an Airedale puppy to become the house pet of older adults, what are some of the desirable traits of this breed?

I'm interested in getting an Airedale puppy to become the house pet of older adults, what are some of the desirable traits of this breed?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are Airedale's a good breed of dog for older adults?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are Airedale's a good breed of dog for older adults?

Are Airedale's a good breed of dog for older adults? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm interested in getting an Airedale puppy to become the house pet of older adults, what are some of the desirable traits of this breed?

Are Airedale's a good breed of dog for older adults? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes they are a wonderful breed from what I've heard from owners and breeders. I know of a family who owns these "King of Terriers" dogs and they always say they are easy to train, friendly, and smart. They are "terriers" though and rather large ones so you got to make sure they get enough exercise daily to keep them satisfied. They work best with mature owners because they can be very strong and from what I've seen don't always know their own strengths. I've always wanted to own one because they just look like big teddy bears, but I never had the chance to and my taste in dog breed has slightly shifted.

• Unless you plan on handling, training, etc... the puppy yourself, or if the older adults are able to handle and/or train a puppy, I wouldn't recommend *any* terrier breed for older adults. I personally wouldn't recommend any *puppy* in general for older adults, as puppies are a LOT of work, and depending on the person, not all older adults are able to handle running after, training, etc... a puppy.As far as why I said I wouldn't recommend a terrier breed, I say that because, while they can be good dogs, terrier breeds can be hyper, horrible chewers, require a good amount of exercise, play time, etc... and can become VERY destructive if not properly trained, exercised, etc... They can be a lot to handle for a younger adult, let alone an older adult.As I said, Airedale's can be amazing dogs, I personally like the breed, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for an older adult home, depending on the person(s). More information on the person(s) living in the home would help. Here's a decent website (although I'm really starting to dislike this site for various reasons) that may help you make a more informed decisionhttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/airedale.htmHere's another site that you may find more helpful:http://www.airedale.org/theairdale.php