Which of these breeds is the easiest to own?

I love these breeds. Granted no dog is actually easy to own, I'm asking which of these dogs is the least difficult. I keep reading about them but certain books have contradicting information. Any experiences raising any of these breeds?Old English…

I love these breeds. Granted no dog is actually easy to own, I'm asking which of these dogs is the least difficult. I keep reading about them but certain books have contradicting information. Any experiences raising any of these breeds?Old English…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Which of these breeds is the easiest to own?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which of these breeds is the easiest to own?

Which of these breeds is the easiest to own? Dog Breed Discussions
      I love these breeds. Granted no dog is actually easy to own, I'm asking which of these dogs is the least difficult. I keep reading about them but certain books have contradicting information. Any experiences raising any of these breeds?Old English SheepdogAiredale, Lakeland or Fox TerrierScottish Terrier

Which of these breeds is the easiest to own? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Most terriers border on the more intelligent side of the spectrum than larger, working class dogs, however some breeds have a predisposition towards stubborness. Depending on the setting you will be training them in, a smaller dog would be easier to manage.

• Old English sheepdog- These dogs need ALOT of space because they are natural farm/herding dogs. If you live on a farm and is willing to care for the fur, which can get pretty crazy, sounds good.Airedales- They are pretty hyper dogs, but smart and love to learn. Some Airedales have scratchy skin. You should have a groomer somewhere in your area. They will need to be brushed daily with a pin brush. They also usually don't shed.Scottish Terrier- Good with children and don't shed that much. This breed requires alot of grooming, daily. They are an active breed and need excercize and can damage things if not given enough mental and physical stimulation. Keep on a leash, or they may go after a rabbit or squirrel because of hunting insticts.But, it really depends on you. Which do YOU think would be best?

• Not sure about the Sheepdog, but I own a Terrier that is not like normal Terriers and he is great. I've owned Labs and Rottweilers in the past and now I've just gone crazy over buying a Border Terrier.... You don't see many of them, but they are great especially with kids.... They don't normally have that Terrier attitude and are real affectionate with everyone especially the males. Check out the source link for more info... I also added a link to the breeder I bought my dog from

• Old English sheep dogs SLOBBER every where and I shouldn't have to mention all that fur come moulting time. They need lots of exercise and loots of grooming (unless you like dreadlocks) my cousin has one and is nice but I glad its not mine. Fox terriers arn't the brightest dog going around and can be just down right mentally challenged at times ( I was once given one and couldn't stand how stupid it could be). Foxies can tend a bit toward being aloof or independent from people and are hyperactive so need lots of exercise. Airedales are big friendly teddy bear types (or at least my uncle's was) they like exercise but are nice sane sensible dogs. I have never seen or heard of a lake land so that's for someone else to comment on. Scottish terriers are also good but they are also in that terrier mould of being a bit hyper although they are pretty sensible (stretching the memory here back a few decades to an elderly lady that had two). I liked them but they also seemed to have a bit of the aloofness/independence thing going too.From my experience the two I wouldn't recommend are the Foxies and sheepdog, my first preference would be the Airedale and neutral on the Scotty and lakeland.

• It's great that your getting information. I know for me the little Scottish Terrier would be the best. However that pup would have to go to the beauty shop more than me. You might want to call your local vet. It depends on your needs and where you live. It also depends on how much money you have to care for your pet. Those other two need room to run. So if your out in the country they would love it. Look at where you live. Pretend to be that sort of dog for a minuet and ask yourself. "Would I want to live here?" Then decide. The humane society can tell you a lot about the personality of the dogs. Watch some dog shows and see how they act. That will help you a lot. Best of luck. Dogs are good friends.

• With the Old English Sheepdog: The coarse, longhaired coat needs constant care to keep it in top condition. Unless it is combed and brushed right through to the dense, water-proof undercoat at least three times per week, it will become matted and the dog may develop skin problems to be plagued by parasites.Personally, I wouldn't pick any of them. Both of the terriers are known to be jealous and will bite. No thanks. I don't want to have to worry about my dog biting others for no apparent reason. Brushing the sheepdog at least 3 times a week? I don't think so.I have a French Mastiff / Dogue de Bordeaux and she is the most loyal and easiest to take care of. You need to find out WHY you love those breeds. If it's for looks alone, you are going to be very disappointed.The link I posted has been very accurate with all the dogs I've ever owned.

• any of the terrier breeds are great... keep in mind the bigger breed dogs generally have a shorter life span. Sheepdogs require lots of grooming.If you can - a mix breed of the above would be your better bet.. then some of the health issues that have been bred into the pure breed dogs are not there.. check out animal planets 'breed all about it' they provide lots of info on all the dogs you have mentioned.

• Airedale or lakeland would be good.Bear in mind that they need to be groomed regularly though.My personal fav breed is the bedlington terrier...again they need regular grooming but are lovely pets and a nice medium size.

• Any terrier is difficult. They all love to chew and dig and require much training and care. If you are going for an easy time, it may be best to adopt a dog that is 1 year old or so. That way it is at least house trained. But trust me - no dog is easy.