Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test?

We will have to leave early without much of a chance for giving my dog exercise, and then a long drive to the city. Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test? The med is approved by the vet.

We will have to leave early without much of a chance for giving my dog exercise, and then a long drive to the city. Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test? The med is approved by the vet....
    General Dog Discussions : Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test?...

• Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test?

Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test? General Dog Discussions
      We will have to leave early without much of a chance for giving my dog exercise, and then a long drive to the city. Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test? The med is approved by the vet.

Will an anti anxiety med help my dog do better on her therapy dog test? General Dog Discussions
    • If the vet says whatever med he wants to prescribe will help, then you need to trust the vet.My question is what kind of therapy dog would need an anti-anxiety med simply because of a long drive? Therapy dogs need to have very stable temperaments; dogs who need meds to cope with simple life aren't going to make it as therapy dogs. Why not give her a chance to show if she can do it?

• Let your dog do the test as she is, unless you honestly believe she won't pass. She needs to be solid enough to pass this no matter how much exercise she has or hasn't had - and yes, it's new and I'm sure you've both have been working hard, but this is a test. You need to know if she is going to perform well enough under any kind of stress - things happen in hospitals and nursing homes, and you won't always have control of the overall situation. Make a decision, and stick with it - if you need to reschedule, do that and continue her training until you are more confident. From the sounds of it, you may be the one who needs the stress meds. Be careful to convey confidence to your dog - or you could blow the test for her yourself. You have to believe in both of you. Good luck.

• Let her test as she is. The med may make her too relaxed & the test results would be wrong. You wouldn't want to take a sleeping dog into a hospital or nursing home, so don't use a drug for the testing.If she fails this test, you can do more training & conditioning to get her in shape to test again.Can you call the testing facility that does the testing & ask of an anti-anxiety med is acceptable or not. If I was doing the testing I would say no drugs.