My dog has a bloody nose discharge and is feeling lethargic. What kind of illness could it be?

I'm taking her to the vet as soon as possible.

My dog has a bloody nose discharge and is feeling lethargic. What kind of illness could it be?

I'm taking her to the vet as soon as possible....
    Dog Breed Discussions : My dog has a bloody nose discharge and is feeling lethargic. What kind of illness could it be?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog has a bloody nose discharge and is feeling lethargic. What kind of illness could it be?

My dog has a bloody nose discharge and is feeling lethargic. What kind of illness could it be? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm taking her to the vet as soon as possible.

My dog has a bloody nose discharge and is feeling lethargic. What kind of illness could it be? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I am glad you are taking your dog to the vet!Canine Nose bleeding is usually a sign of another disorder. It can be caused by your dog’s environment including pollution from smoking or poor air quality, an object in your dog's nose, a fungal problem, blood clot, bacterial infection or canine nose tumor. The most common cause is an infection or something lodged in the nose. If the nose bleeding is due to a tumor it is rare for a canine tumor to become cancerous.Tumors are usually seen in dogs age 2 - 12 with 10 being the most common age. Nasal adenocarcinoma is the most common tumor type.If the bleeding is due to a canine nose tumor, breeds that are at increased risk include:Airedale terriersBasset houndsOld English SheepdogsScottish terriersColliesShetland sheepdogsGerman shorthair pointersLabrador retrieversGolden retrieversMany of the symptoms associated with canine nose bleeding occur before you actually see blood. Symptoms include sneezing and discharge from the nose. Discharge may contain blood.Your dog may have trouble breathing or snoring, a symptom that is consistent with something lodged in the nose. Your dog might be constantly reaching for the nose causing or due to irritation or inflammation and swelling.Tumors are suspected if blood is coming from only one nostril or there is discharge. Other symptoms of canine nasal tumors are watery eyes, a swollen face, coughing, or some trouble breathing.It is difficult to diagnose nose bleeds. A blood test will be used to see if there are any obvious signs of a problem. If the test comes back normal, then it is assumed that the cause of the nose bleed is isolated to the nose. Your veterinarian might time the duration of the bleed and the time it takes to stop the bleeding.Veterinarian’s have a device called an endoscope where a video camera is fed through your dog’s mouth into the nose. A biopsy is taken to test for cancer.X-rays can detect cancer by looking at bones and if they have worn away.

• Just a question to think about, has your dog been on flea and tick preventives year round? If you dog has not been or there was a lapse in time between doses, you might want to take him in to have the 3 way Heartworm, Lymes. Ehrlicia snap test done to rule out ehrilicia, one of the tick borne diseases that do cause a bloody nose and lethargy and possibly weight loss. So if not current on tick preventive or time lapsed between dosing please see the vet for this very simple test. Catch it early and it is easier to control symptoms. This disease will stay in the lymph nodes and can be non-reactive (asymptomatic) for some time but can also eventually become active under stress or as the dog gets older. My dog did not have it when the clinic I worked for used Frontline but when a new owner came in they wanted to drop Frontline and start selling Advantix. That year while on Advantix my dog had so many ticks we were pulling them off and putting them in a jar. Not trying to raise one product over the other, but, when on Advantix that year my dog got her annual 3 way heartworm, lymes, ehrlicia test and this time it came back positive. Luckily for us she has just a few symptoms at this time (slight lameness with stiffness) which we ar managing on NSAIDs but there is the chance it can become worse as she ages. Other symptoms are bleeding from unknown origin, anemia ect. So if your dog has not been on preventive then I would suggest the vet do that 3 way snap test. Its quick and easy and then if not that the vet can then run some blood work and see if any organs are showing red flags that something might be off which then you could begin to treat. It's just always easiest to start with details like lapses in HW Prev. and the go from there.

• You should ask a vet about this just to be sure.. it sounds really serious, try out this site - http://bit.ly/c6qYat - the site offers professional veterinarian's advice and you get feedback regarding your concern in 5-15minutes.