what treatment is better for getting rid of dog heartworms?

the vet has told me about an expensive treatment dealing with 2 shots and an oral antibiotic but this costs like $500. ive also heard about the heartgard for like a year and also taking doxycycline but the vet told me this doesnt work, but this process…

the vet has told me about an expensive treatment dealing with 2 shots and an oral antibiotic but this costs like $500. ive also heard about the heartgard for like a year and also taking doxycycline but the vet told me this doesnt work, but this process…...
    General Dog Discussions : what treatment is better for getting rid of dog heartworms?...

• what treatment is better for getting rid of dog heartworms?

what treatment is better for getting rid of dog heartworms? General Dog Discussions
      the vet has told me about an expensive treatment dealing with 2 shots and an oral antibiotic but this costs like $500. ive also heard about the heartgard for like a year and also taking doxycycline but the vet told me this doesnt work, but this process is much cheaper but longer. ive also been told the treatment with the shots is harder on the dog than the heartgard. which is better to use?

what treatment is better for getting rid of dog heartworms? General Dog Discussions
    • Heartgard for a year is only able to be used in some cases, and is dependent on the parasite load and how compromised the dog's circulatory system is. If the vet says it won't work for your dog, your dog is likely not a candidate for that treatment method. $500 is not bad for heartworm treatment. You also have to figure in the length of time the dog's activity will be restricted. With the heartgard, the dog will have to be given almost no exercise until the worms are gone. With the faster method, that period is much shorter. There will also be repeated office visits to monitor the dog's progress with the heartgard, which could wind up running your bill higher than the $500 you were quoted for the other treatment. If you doubt your vet's judgment, get a second opinion from another vet. Otherwise, follow the vet's recommendation. I think it is important to have a vet who you trust to give you all appropriate options and the pros and cons of each, and to be able to rely on their treatment advice. If you don't feel you can do that, start asking other dog owners for recommendations and find a new one.

• It really depends on what stage of infection your dog has. I am really not a fan of ivermectin/doxycycline as a heartworm treatment. Most times it will kill off the adult worms but not the microfilaria, resulting in a re-infestation of adults. Yes injections of Caparsolate or Immiticide are expensive, and painful ( this is why prevention is so highly recommended) but it is also more thorough at getting rid of the problem.You MUST be sure to keep your pet quiet during and for at least three months after treatment. The reason for this is to prevent killed adult worms from being rapidly dislodged and causing a pulmonary embolism which can kill them. Leash walks only and investing a crate is a good idea.