What is the best dog to get for allergies?

Our dog is getting old and when she goes to doggy heaven I want to get a new one right away, esp. for the kids.But I have bad allergies. I want to do the research on this now so I know just what to get when the time comes. Any good ones?

Our dog is getting old and when she goes to doggy heaven I want to get a new one right away, esp. for the kids.But I have bad allergies. I want to do the research on this now so I know just what to get when the time comes. Any good ones?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best dog to get for allergies?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best dog to get for allergies?

What is the best dog to get for allergies? Dog Breed Discussions
      Our dog is getting old and when she goes to doggy heaven I want to get a new one right away, esp. for the kids.But I have bad allergies. I want to do the research on this now so I know just what to get when the time comes. Any good ones?

What is the best dog to get for allergies? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yeah Poodles are a good choice for allergy sufferers. You can find some more here http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/dogs-that-dont-shed.htmlGood luck with your selection.

• The best dog that I know of for allergies is the Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier or Poodle. You need to find a dog with hair not with fur. They don't shed so you will be going to the groomers every 3 months or so. I have only met one person that was allergic to the Wheaton Terrier and I'm not even sure it was the dog she was actually allergic too. They are a terrific dog with kids, obedient, intelligant, & energetic. Can you tell I have one? They need lots of exercise so be forewarned. The best thing to do is to go to a breeder and spend some time with the pups. If you have any reactions then you know it's not the dog for you. Other terrier mixes are good for people with allergies as well and they range from very small (Cairn) to large (Airedale). However some of them do shed & you would be allergic too e.g. Jack Russell, Rat Terrier. And, (although I'm sure there are others out there that disagree) - I would not get a Fox Terrier if you have young kids.

• Remember that ugly dog on How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days? A Chinese Crested... they're hairless and have been known to be less allergenic, but they are pretty expensive. Also, if you are up to it, I've read that ferrets are hypoallergenic (although my husband and I bought one and we had to return it because my allergies were driving me nuts!).

• I would suggest a poodle, because they don't shed. But you might be allergic to pet dander, ticks, mites, or fleas--all of which ALL dogs have (unless you use special shampoos and medicines). Best to consult your vet. :)

• Check out this site, it has a comprehensive list as well as breed descriptions to help you to make you choice. Another thing to remember is no dog is 100% allergy proof so you should vacuum daily with a hepa filtration vacuum. And also consider investing in an air purifier. The other thing to do is send the dog to the groomer regularly (Baths help to remove dander and sending to the groomer prevents you from having to deal with it.) Good luck!