What can I do to give a scared dog some confidence?

It seems to be scared and nervous about any external stimulus... noise, movement..etc This dog was adopted from a shelter in November, and the owner has no history.

It seems to be scared and nervous about any external stimulus... noise, movement..etc This dog was adopted from a shelter in November, and the owner has no history....
    General Dog Discussions : What can I do to give a scared dog some confidence?...

• What can I do to give a scared dog some confidence?

What can I do to give a scared dog some confidence? General Dog Discussions
      It seems to be scared and nervous about any external stimulus... noise, movement..etc This dog was adopted from a shelter in November, and the owner has no history.

What can I do to give a scared dog some confidence? General Dog Discussions
    • hope this helps,,, i would give lots of praise in general and more when slowly introducing new things like slightly increasing the volume...so the dog in question learns that the noise is not a threat....although bonfire night might take a while to get used to.

• The world can be a scary place to a dog, but it needn’t be. Here are some common fears and things you can do – and things you shouldn’t do.What To Do Act the way you want your dog to act. So if you want him to be happy and calm, act happy and calm. No matter what the source of the fear, do NOT try to comfort your dog through snuggling, petting, or saying it’s OK. It may seem like the most natural thing in the world, but your tone of voice and body language are actually telling your dog that there is something to fear. Instead, find fun distractions, like fetch or other games. Create positive experiences and reasons for your dog to feel good. Some pointers about common fears:Fear of StormsThe Cause: Most often, it’s the strange sounds that accompany storms. Howling wind, lashing rain, booming thunder (made worse by the bright flashes of lightning), all these are much louder and scarier to dogs. The Solution: A small, secure "den" like a crate can be comforting. Try turning on a radio or TV; the noise may take the shock out of the boom of thunder. Or you can try playing with your dog or try a training session – it’ll distract your dog and give you plenty of chances to reward your dog, creating a positive experience. If this doesn’t calm your dog, please speak to your veterinarian.Fear of DogsThe Cause: Your dog may see other dogs as a threat. The Solution: The best solution is experience. Bring your dog into contact with other friendly, dog-savvy dogs early and often; a training class is a great way to do this, since it’s neutral territory and the dogs are under control. Trips to the dog park should be done with caution, as often there are adolescent, excitable dogs there. Some dogs will thrive. Others will be overwhelmed and frightened. Watch your dog and see if he is having fun or is scared. Meeting plenty of friendly dogs should also help make your pet more comfortable. If your dog is barking, lunging or growling at other dogs, seek the guidance of a qualified dog trainer or behavior professional.Fear of PeopleThe Cause: Your dog may see people as threats, either because your dog has not had enough socialization with enough different people, had frightening experiences with some people or, possibly, has a genetic predisposition to shyness. The Solution: Experience will help. Always allow your dog to approach the person, do not allow the person to reach for your frightened dog. Do not drag your dog up to anyone - ever. Instead, give your dog treats – preferably a kibble of dog food, – when new people are around. As he gets braver, let people toss your dog a piece of food so that meeting new people becomes a good experience. Never, ever, attempt to force a frightened dog to take a treat from or meet a new person. By going slowly, allowing your dog to set the pace and using plenty of food rewards, your dog should learn to enjoy the company of people. If you’re not seeing progress, have any concerns, have an aggressive dog or see growling, lunging, or cowering/hiding, please seek the guidance of a qualified dog trainer or behavior professional.Fear of VeterinariansThe Cause: First, establish that the fear IS of the veterinarian, and not people in general. If you do see behaviors at the veterinarian’s office that you don’t see otherwise, it could be sensory overload at the smell of so many other animals, or perhaps your dog has bad associations due to shots or other treatment. The Solution: Try to make the experience good in general. Bring a favorite toy for entertainment and include a trip to the park or other positive experiences. Bring food kibbles and ask your veterinarian and the staff to give pieces to your dog before, during and after the visit is complete so your dog has a positive association. Remember: You set the tone. If you’re nervous and worried, your dog will be, too. Making sure your dog is used to other animals (for example, by attending a dog training class) can help too.