What is the best kind of "family" dog?

I have 3 children under the age of 4 and I was wondering what is the best kind of dog to adopt. I am not a big animal lover, but I am willing to put it aside for my kids.

I have 3 children under the age of 4 and I was wondering what is the best kind of dog to adopt. I am not a big animal lover, but I am willing to put it aside for my kids....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best kind of "family" dog?...

• What is the best kind of "family" dog?

What is the best kind of "family" dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have 3 children under the age of 4 and I was wondering what is the best kind of dog to adopt. I am not a big animal lover, but I am willing to put it aside for my kids.

What is the best kind of "family" dog? General Dog Discussions
    • a sheltie is ideal for kids, not very big, but generally loves kids and is very smart...they are shedders though, so if your house is "just so:, it's not for you....ps. the person that suggested a yorkie....no, no and no....yorkies are not for small children, teens , yes but they are fragile dogs and can easily be abused by a child..you need a pup that can get along with children...the terriers are not for kids, they often bite kids that pull....the person who said beagle is a good thought as well..sweet dogs and just the right size.

• i think a good kin of dog if you are adopting a dog is not to get a totally new puppy but to get a medium age dog ..... and a good breed would not be a big dog ! i know from lots of experience that they will sit on your face! and thats not good with kids. i know someone whos got a boy about 3 1/2 and they have 2 dogs .... she was a pretty quiet but fun dog and she was a mix ... normally mixed dogs are better .... like she was a yorkie which is small and a beagle mix. Thats pretty good .

• Are you looking for large or small dogs? What are the ages of your children? Do you want a dog that is active or laid back?Each breed of dog has its own specific personality traits. However, there are some breeds that are proven (with the very rare exception) to be better with kids than other breeds. The four main ones are:For large dogs: lab or a golden retriver. For small dogs: bassetts or pugsThe links below will give youmore detailed information on the breeds and others that are good with kids as well. Look at different breeds and then do research on that specific breed to determine if their needs are ones that will fit into your life (grooming, exercise needs, size etc) and go from there.Good luck!

• Since your kids are so young I'm sure you realize that you will be doing almost all of the care. They can help with things but of course you won't be able to rely on them just yet.I think you might be better off getting an older, calmer dog than a puppy. Puppies are a lot of work and you probably already have your hands full. Young kids don't/can't always understand that pulling tails and ears is not appropriate, and if they do that to a puppy, they might get bitten. And the puppy might grow up to be aggressive since it would always be defending itself.I would recommend going to your local shelter and talking to the people there. There are a lot of overlooked older dogs in shelters. I wouldn't look for any particular breed--see what is available and which dogs work best with your family.You might find a dog whose owner had to surrender him and gave the shelter lots of information about his personality. And even if the dog's history isn't known, most shelters do temperament evaluations and should have a good idea of how a particular dog will do with kids, cats, etc. And of course older dogs are calmer and might put up better with being "kidhandled".Good luck!

• Okay, well, this is like saying that even though a husband and wife don't love each other and want to get a divorce, they stay together "for the sake of the children." The children know there are problems and it hurts them anyway. If you are not ready to put your heart into loving this dog, the dog will know it and it will become depressed or will cause you other problems. You need to be really into it because these children, as much as they may love the dog, are not of an age where they can take care of it, so it's going to all be up to you. The dog will sense the fact that you resent it if you're feeling obligated of taking care of it and hating the whole process. This isn't fair to the dog. Also, please don't get a dog if you are going to relegate it to the backyard, on a chain or in a doghouse or dogrun. This is very cruel to the animal. If you can't let the dog into your home as part of the family, please don't get one. As a responsible dog owner, you also need to take your dog to training lessons. Your children are still young enough that they will not feel "deprived" if they do not get a dog. Perhaps wait until they get older and are capable of feeding the dog, walking the dog, playing with the dog and giving the dog the attention that it will need. That said, if you are really ready to give this dog your heart and the attention it needs, you need to very carefully research dogs' personalities as compared to the dynamics of your particular family. Traditionally, golden lab, chocolate lab or black lab is a good choice. Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs, but avoiding dogs with long hair will be one less maintenance problem you will have to deal with. While small dogs are seen as less bother, they are often not appreciative of little hands pulling their ears and poking their fingers in their eyes. Labs have the patience of Job in this regard. If you have a sedentary lifestyle or not much time and you don't want a dog that you have to take out for a lot of play time, don't get a dog like a Jack Russell or a Beagle. They are high energy and need to be allowed to run and play a lot. Bassett hounds are a medium size dog that is very content to lay around all day. So, those are some "for instances." Evaluate your family's lifestyle and compare it to an animals personality and needs, and then choose the appropriate animal. I hope this helps. Oh, and sorry so long!

• In my opinion, Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties) are some of the best family pets. I have owned Shelties for over 20 years. The breed is very intelligent and family friendly. From my experience, Shelties have been one of the easiest breeds to house or obedience train. They do need to be groomed often as they tend to shed during the changing of the seasons.

• If you want a large breed non protective dogs try one that is friendly like the lab, golden retriever and some of the sporting breeds.There are more.Most working breeds can be protective- A few are the Doberman,German Shepherd , R.wilder Ect If you get one of these breeds in order for them to be a good family pet, [ EXCELLENT STABLE TEMPERAMENT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY ] KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUYING FROM.I would rule out PET SHOPS and Back yard breeder. You should be provided a 5 Generation Pedigree . and Reg. Papers And a certificate of vet health check on the spot if they cant- Pass.In small breed Schipperke [ Highly Recommend ] There are several nice small breeds. You may ask your vet for a recommendation as they know a lot about it as they see different breeds on a daily basis