If you were buying a hunting dog what would you get?

I am looking for a puppy that will hunt. I was wondering what others would get if they were too. I am thinking of getting a Labrador or a Weimaraner. Thanks for your help.

I am looking for a puppy that will hunt. I was wondering what others would get if they were too. I am thinking of getting a Labrador or a Weimaraner. Thanks for your help....
    Dog Breed Discussions : If you were buying a hunting dog what would you get?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If you were buying a hunting dog what would you get?

If you were buying a hunting dog what would you get? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am looking for a puppy that will hunt. I was wondering what others would get if they were too. I am thinking of getting a Labrador or a Weimaraner. Thanks for your help.

If you were buying a hunting dog what would you get? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yeah ya see, depends on what you want to hunt, i would get a any terrier, from a yokie to a bull terrier or for bigger game a airedale terrier, depends on what your hunting..... Now if your going to be doing the killing and you just want a retriever then a labrador would be perfect.....

• Well depends on the hunting you're going to do..but for retreiving birds you can't beat a lab, for flushing birds spaniels are good and for finding birds for you try any type of pointer..if you are scent hunting try a beagle of blood hound

• I have 2 Labradors and they are awesome! We sent them to a place where they train dogs in bird hunting.I have a black female and a yellow male.Both are bird dogs. If you want to hunt ducks on the water then Labradors are great for that. If your hunting on land you should get a Weimaraner.Make sure you look at the puppies dam and sire before you buy them. If they are not well behaved you should think twice about getting a pup from that litter.Info on Weimaraners -http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/weimaraner.htmInfo on Labradors -http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm

• Depends on your needs.I prefer bush dogs, something lean and fast, and able to catch things like rabbits, a Mountain Cur would be ideal.If I was looking for a water retriever, definitely a Deutscher Wachtelhund.

• It depends on what sort of hunting dog you are seeking. There are retrievers, pointing breeds, scent hounds, pack hounds, etc...Regardless of which sort of dog you are seeking, if you are serious about hunting, buy from only breeders whose dogs have proven hunting abilities.

• It depends on what you want to hunt. Do you want a dog that will sit in a blind and retrieve ducks? Do you want a dog that will flush birds? Do you want to hunt large game like bear? Do you want a dog that works quarry that lives under the earth, like terriers and dachshunds.For me, of the spaniels, I like the Boykin. For the earthdogs, I'm partial to wirehair dachshunds. The other hounds that I like, that hunt bigger game are coonhounds. For the retrievers, I like the Cheasapeke Bay retrievers.