Introducing a puppy to our two year old cat?

My girlfriend and I are thinking of adopting a dog. We adopted our cat last spring and she's been perfect for us. She's got a very dog-like personality when it comes to affection, and she loves people and playing. How hard would it be to introduce a…

My girlfriend and I are thinking of adopting a dog. We adopted our cat last spring and she's been perfect for us. She's got a very dog-like personality when it comes to affection, and she loves people and playing. How hard would it be to introduce a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Introducing a puppy to our two year old cat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Introducing a puppy to our two year old cat?

Introducing a puppy to our two year old cat? General Dog Discussions
      My girlfriend and I are thinking of adopting a dog. We adopted our cat last spring and she's been perfect for us. She's got a very dog-like personality when it comes to affection, and she loves people and playing. How hard would it be to introduce a neutered male puppy to her (less than three months)? She is spayed and she has no front claws, so there is little chance of her tearing his face up from boxing. She would probably be a similar size to the puppy as well at first. Any tips to expedite the process?

Introducing a puppy to our two year old cat? General Dog Discussions
    • Enroll the pup in an obedience course straight away. The pup must be taught from day 1 that it is not allowed to bark at, pounce, bounce, chase or otherwise harass the cat even in play. The cat also needs a place for her food and litter that the dog cannot get to - a baby gate is useful for this. Put one up in the doorway at each place, so that she can jump over and the pup cannot. Also purchase a tall piece of cat furniture to put in the room where you spend all of your "family time" so that she can jump up there away from the pup. Note that declawed cats are prone to biting. If the puppy harasses her (which he will if allowed) she's very likely to bite him - hard.