What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children?

We are trying to decide if we want to get a dog right now. What are some considerations that may have been overlooked? What things do you wish you would have given more thought to?Our children are 3, 5, and 7. The dog we are considering is a…

We are trying to decide if we want to get a dog right now. What are some considerations that may have been overlooked? What things do you wish you would have given more thought to?Our children are 3, 5, and 7. The dog we are considering is a…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children?...

• What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children?

What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children? General Dog Discussions
      We are trying to decide if we want to get a dog right now. What are some considerations that may have been overlooked? What things do you wish you would have given more thought to?Our children are 3, 5, and 7. The dog we are considering is a collie/lab mix that has been with a family who has a 2 1/2 year old.

What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children? General Dog Discussions
    • kids may get fed up of itkids wont want to clean up after itonce puppy stage is gone they may lose interestonly get a dog if you dont mind ending up the only one that walks,cleans up,feeds it.then anything kids do is a bonus.warn your kids its not a toy and needs to sleep cos they will be keen at first.my kids rarely bother with the dog i got for them and i walk it every day now feed it and clean up after it.

• They are a lot of work and responsibility. Some people just rush into getting a dog. You need to do research on the breed you want. Some dogs are good with kids, and some are not. A lot of training needs to be done, such as if your child takes the dogs food away while its eating, it might bite. So you need to do a lot of training and researching. Any time is a great time to get a dog in my opinion! DOgs are great companions, give unconditional love, and are just wonderful.

• Pros: 1 you have a constent companion2 someone to play with3 somone always willing to go on a walk with you4 someone who will listen to all your problems5 someone who wont judge you no matter what cons:1 you'lll love him so much you wont ever want to get rid of him!2 puppy dog eyes, their a killer! You'll do anything to please them!Take it from a dog lover/owner there is nothing to regret from getting a dog!

• Dogs are great for children, they get them to start learning responsibilities, but they also do take alot of work and is a pain on butt if you like to take vacations. Make sure that if you do end up getting a dog, find a breed that tends to be good with children, such as a german shepard or beagel and i would suggest either adopting one from a shelter with previous children experience, or getting a puppy so you can socialize the dog while its young to be tolerant towards the kids.

• good things bout dogs- teaches responsibilty, gives them a nice friend, kids can have fun with him when they are bored, they might not watch tv as much because they r with the dog.bad things- the dog could be noisy and wake u up at night, you have to walk him everyday even when it snows and rains, u have to clean up after him (if u know what i mean). it might not be a friendly dogtry finding a good dog which wont hurt ur family.

• I have 3 Weimaraners (large dogs). They are the love of my life, however, I don't have kids. What I think is the most important thing to ask yourself is "Will I be able to show this pet equal love". Pets take alot of attention and most LOVE to be a part of your family. I wouldn't get one just to keep pinned or chained up. I think that is just cruel. But if you can give them a better life than you think someone else could, show them all the love in the world, and teach your kids to love them, then it is the best thing you could do. Opening your heart to love is never a bad thing. Plus it is a way to teach your children responsibility (feeding, picking up after them). Hope you make the right decision:)

• First How old are your children and are they well behaved... these should be your first considerations... if your children tend to be rough or unpredictable... maybe wait a few years until they mature... next consider the temperment and size of the dog you choose... a golden retriever may be a much better dog for a playful child than a chihuahua. Also decide how much time you and your family are planning on spending with the dog... if you are gone a lot, consider getting two dogs so they will not get lonely. Pros1. Exercise for the whole family2. Helps give children some responsibility3. provides companionship for the entire family4. Provides protection5. Dogs are wonderful they are loyal and kind.Cons1. They can get a little expensive2. They must be properly trained3. It's sad, but eventually the dog will get old... it can be difficult for some kids to cope with this loss, while it also provides the children with some experience in losing someone close.

• well, money for one thing, takes a lot, Shots, dog food.Time is another, taking the time for the Dog, getting a Dog is great, but when the "newness" wears off, sometimes it is a pain, also when it comes to going out of town on a vacation, can you take the Dog with you? many places hotels, motels ect. wont take Dogs, an a kennel cost a lot.But Dogs can be a great source of friendship for a child, and it teaches a child about life, when obviously the Dog dies of old age or something, the Child learns about death and loss, something that is sad but necessary

• How many kids do you have and how old are they? I think your answer will determine what the best response to your question is regarding whether it's the right time to get a dog at all and if the answer is yes, the best size, age, breed etc.Thanks for the ages... Edited to add:It sounds like a good situation with the right dog. If you've owned a dog before you'll understand all of the responsibility that comes with it. And I would only do this if you are comfortable with the idea that all of the responsiblity will most likely fall on your shoulders.I would talk to moms you know who have both dogs and kids or even moms you may see at the park with both. It would be a LOT of work but so worth it if you can pull it off.

• None. I lived with dogs since my early teen years. If you have young children get a very young dog due to their life span. A dog should be treated like any other living creature. If you give it lots of love, care and attention it will give it back to you and even more.:)

• A dog is a lot of work, but if everyone in the family really likes dogs I think it is a good decision. I can't imagine growing up and not having a dog. They really become part of your life. It teaches the kids responsibility and how to care for a living animal. Just make sure that rules about caring for the dog are enforced so you don't end up doing all the work. When I was younger, my sister and I would rotate days as far as who took the dog for walks, etc.

• It all depends on if you want to have the dog for a long time, you should look at puppies so you can train them, and your kids can gow up with it. The size of where you live also plays into what kind of dog you should get. Some dogs need alot of running room in the yard. You probably should look at something that doesnt shead too much, because your kids may be allergic. Just look around and check out some breeds online to get all the info you need.

• Things to consider.....what is a good breed to have with children?overall temperment of the dog?age of the dog....puppy training or older dog?amount of time you/family have to spend with the dog?health issues and can we afford the cost?WHO will feed it, clean up after it, walk it?Who will train it?kids will grow bored with it after awhile?cost of good quality food?where to get it from? (please go to a shelter and NOT a pet store)will it chew or pee on things?male or female?crate training? kids fighting over where it will sleep?Fenced yard?Any dog can be a great addition to a family. Please remember though that it "IS" family and will be with you for a very long time.

• Cons dogs sometimes make messes. Dogs have to be trained. If they are not treated with respect they may bite. Dogs require vacinations & vetrinary cost. Dogs are not objects to be thrown away or replaced when your tired of them. Dogs have feelings. They fear things, they feel pain, they have physical needs, just like people do. Biggest pros if your child is an only child the dog can be very good company. Dogs are very loyal and love their families without restrictions. Dogs can teach a child responsibility. They are a constant source of love. Dogs should be a lifetime commitment & treated like a member of the family. Dogs are worth every con. I cannot imagine growing up without one, and I cannot imagine raising my child without a dog in their life. The collie lab mix should be a great dog. Just remember to try to put your self in the dogs place when you have a problem.

• Time. If you get a younger dog it will need a lot of attention, and training, and your family will need lots of patients. If you get an older dog you don't need to spend as much time training, but they'll need lots of love, which is perfect play time for your children! Almost forgot cleaning, make sure you're children will be willing to let the doggy out for a potty.After that I think the next question is what kind of dog you should get. Make sure the dog has a high pain tolerance. Also this may sound cruel, but carefully check to see if the dog has been hit before, you simply and gently act as if you were going to hit the dog. If its a puppy, lay it straight on its back, this tests the dominance level of the dog. If the dog puts up a big fight its going to be a more dominant dog. If you decide on an animal I hope you consider rescue, make sure you check: www.petfinder.org.

• Hi! i'm glad you're considering giving a dog a home :)the only thing i can say to honestly consider that when you get this dog, the kids are going to LOVE it, but try as hard as possibly to get out of feeding, cleaning, or picking up it's poop. Most likely you'll get stuck with all of those extra chores if you don't crack down on your kids and give them their duties or "the dog goes, and no more pets!"the other hard part is agreeing and getting the whole family to abide by the rules for the new dog. When i was young, our family's first dog loved our parents and wouldn't listen to the kids.why?becauses the kids were constantly trying to potty train, train the dog in general(sit, lay down- easy stuff) and our parents completely spoiled the dog by giving it table scraps. My point is even one person not abiding by the "doggie rules" can make having a dog a horrible experience.just something to consider, good luck! :)