What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children?

We are trying to decide if we want to get a dog right now. What are some considerations that may have been overlooked? What things do you wish you would have given more thought to?Our children are 3, 5, and 7. The dog we are considering is a…

What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children?

We are trying to decide if we want to get a dog right now. What are some considerations that may have been overlooked? What things do you wish you would have given more thought to?Our children are 3, 5, and 7. The dog we are considering is a…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the biggest pros and cons to getting a dog for your children?...

• Ask yourself.....How much time can you spend with it? What space can you provide it?How much money can you set aside for it? How much exercise can you give it?How much training can you do?How much grooming can you do?Which sex do you want, male or female?What characteristics do you want in a dog? What sort of exercise do I want to do with the dog? Walking? Jogging? Hiking? Do I want a dog that is bouncy and ready to go, or more relaxed? Am I prepared for a dog with some protective tendencies? How about a dog with possible dog-aggression (because of its background or breed)? Pros:Dogs are...loyalprotectivegood reason to exercisePlayfulHappylearn responsibilityCons:Clean-upfeedingwateringBrushing?Vet billsDeath (can happen, can your children deal well with that)AggressionConsider:children size in proportion to dog sizewhat do you want the dog to do for you?-play fetch, agility, basic obediance, gaurd dog, ornimental?Larger dogs = more foodSmaller dogs = easier broken bonescan you supply emergency money for your dog or child in case of an accident?SheddingHigh energy vs. low energyshelter vs. breederlarge vs. smalllong hair vs. shortprotector who plays or playful who protectsHope these help!!!If you want a list of breeds good with children feel free to message me!!!I grew up (age 1-15) with a Rodesian Ridgeback and he was a great member of our family, I would recomend getting a dog.

• Pros: A well-behaved dog is an excellent companion for children. Children who grow up with pets are usually healthier. Pets can help to teach valuable life-lessons (ie compassion/caring for others).Cons: The dog will be YOURS when the novelty wears off (it almost always does). The dog is likely to live 10-15 years, so be prepared for a long-term commitment. Dogs can be expensive (vet bills, boarding, grooming etc). A dog such as you're considering will shed A LOT and need regular brushing. Like children, dogs need to be taught proper behavior, they do not absorb it by osmosis (don't laugh, lots of people seem to think this way). Dogs can be restrictive to your lifestyle (gotta be home in time to feed/walk the dog, have to make arrangements when you go away). Dogs can have...well...a doggy odor. Dogs take time and commitment, how busy are you already?It sounds like I'm being negative, actually I love having dogs and I'm prepared to go to all the trouble, sacrifice and inconvenience to own them, to me it is worth it. But for a lot of people it is not, so it's best to consider these things BEFORE bringing a dog home. A dog is a living, feeling creature who is dependent on you, not a toy for the children that you can put away when they don't feel like playing with it. And getting a dog, only to find that you don't want it after all and getting rid of it, can be one of the worst lessons for children (living beings/commitments are disposable when they become too much trouble).

• I don't want this to sound mean...but if you have to ask...then I don't think it is time for your family to have one. I am an avid dog lover and trainer. I trained dogs for 10-15 years had dogs with obedience titles ..but dealing with a pet was a chore when my kids were that age. Face it...the family will start out helping; but when it is all said and done it will be mom that will end up taking care of the dog. If Mom doesn't really have the strong desire to have the dog and she gets stuck taking care of it day after day...there will be some resentment. But Older dog is better than taking on a puppy with children that age.

• The cons of having a dog:1-Time investment. When proper time is given to properly train a dog to be well mannered, behaved, and properly socialized, it can turn out to be quite a time investment. Well worth it, but time invested all the same. There's also the commitment to ensure the dog is getting the proper excercise needed. If you don't have a yard quite large enuf for it, you will need to commit to going to a park and definitely need to do daily walks to keep the dog fit and happy.2-Cost of a pet. There are a variety of costs involved in having a dog... food, toys, crate, bedding, kennel costs if you take a trip your dog can't go with you on, vet visits (anticipated ones for shots/check ups and the unanticipated medical issues that can arise), liscensing anually, etc...3-Potty training/chewing phases. If this dog is young and not fully potty trained, this is another time investment you will have to commit to in order to teach puppy all the right things. Even if this dog is slightly older and doing well in the current home, there is a possibility that there may be a few "slips" in your home at first. It's not unusual for a even an adult dog to go thru a "phase" of accidents when this "changing owners/homes" kind of thing happens. Also, chewing is another issue all together. A dog will usually have the "urge" to chew until the age of 3 yrs old. Even tho the puppy teeth are gone, the adult teeth are still shifting within the jaw line into proper place, and as long as those teeth shift, the need to chew will be there. So even if this is a dog beyond the first year, this is still something you may deal with. Often, the chewing urges can come out in a form of destructive behavior within your home, and this is why I think crating the first 3 yrs is a good idea.4-Training your children. Depending on how much your children have been around dogs in their life, there is a certain amount of training the children will need in order to properly interact with any family pet. They need to know what is accpetable behavior and what is not allowed. For the very young children, you will need to ensure they are not left alone with any dog, yours or otherwise. This is a mistake far to many families make and is one that sets up for disaster in some circumstances.The Pros of owning a dog:1-You will have a loyal family pet and companion, who will love your whole family unconditionally.2-If you persue proper training with your new dog, it is a great way to establish an even stronger bond between the new dog and your family. I can't even tell you how much I've enjoyed the training process I'm taking my border collie pup thru.3-A dog will usually alert you when someone is approaching your home or at the door. If the dog tends to bark at these things, it will mean that if someone is looking for a house to invade, yours will get passed-it's not worth the risk of dealing with a dog from a criminals point of view most of the time.4-You may be giving this dog a second chance, as if the current owners simply cannot keep this dog, the only other option may be the shelters, where a chance of a good home are far less.All in all, owning a dog, whether it be puppy or adult, is a lot of work and time commitment that your family will have to make. But if you are prepared for this, then a dog is a wonderful addition to a family. I would be sure to inquire with the current owners as to why they are getting rid of this dog. There could very well be behavioral issues they are not telling you about.

• First off, bring your children over to see how the dog reacts to your children, because you do not want to get the dog and then find out, that the dog does not get along with your children. Then you face, the chance of having to get rid of the dog, making him or her without a home once again! Owning a pet, is a big responsibility! It's not all fun and games...." Dogs Are Like Children, except they have Tails!":

• you need to get a puppy not an adult because your children will learn with the puppy and your children will also be able to adjust to the new chore of walking and feeding and batheing etc. i have a 1, 3, and 5 year old, and i got a lab they are the best dogs to have with kids, but you also need to train your dog if you are going to have your kids walk it, to heal... walk right beside you and not pull on the leash, because your kids will just let go if they are being pulled. the pro's are that a dog for your kids will teach them responsibility, trust and kindness. and they will also have something that they can call their best friend for many years to come. cons: if you get a mix breed then they may not have a good temperment, if you get an adult dog then you really dont know how the dog is going to act... even though the owner has said it'll be ok do you really want to take that chance? and alot goes into having a dog training grooming etc.... i have a litter of labs due today going for $100 if you are interested contact me [email protected]

• well I had my dogs before I had my last baby. otherwise I would not have one at this time. as she is to much to handle. I know now I would not take another mutt from the pound. The medical bills and the dog hair were killers. your biggest thing to decide is how loving and well behaved are your children. Would they hurt a dog? Not on purpose but by accident!! Then second why are these people giving up the dog?

• WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF THE NEW ADDITION TO YOUR HOME? ITS A ALL THE TIME JOB. The kids will love the pet right now, but will not support your effort to care for "SPOT". You need a dog trainer to begin with. Call one. Don't wait till one of your precious children are bitten. A good animal is also precious. He or she is one of Gods creatures. I found a mixed breed, almost 6 months old, playful with children, take puppy home for a day or two, and ask your Vet. Take a baby home and KEEP IT> You are now mom and dad.