Will eating chocolate poison a dog. My dog ate chocolate cake and I cant find a vet to ask. Does anyone know?

I have heard that chocolate is bad for dogs. How bad? Should I take my min.schnauzer to the vet for eating a couple of chocolate covered cupcakes?

Will eating chocolate poison a dog. My dog ate chocolate cake and I cant find a vet to ask. Does anyone know?

I have heard that chocolate is bad for dogs. How bad? Should I take my min.schnauzer to the vet for eating a couple of chocolate covered cupcakes?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will eating chocolate poison a dog. My dog ate chocolate cake and I cant find a vet to ask. Does anyone know?...

• Will eating chocolate poison a dog. My dog ate chocolate cake and I cant find a vet to ask. Does anyone know?

Will eating chocolate poison a dog. My dog ate chocolate cake and I cant find a vet to ask. Does anyone know? General Dog Discussions
      I have heard that chocolate is bad for dogs. How bad? Should I take my min.schnauzer to the vet for eating a couple of chocolate covered cupcakes?

Will eating chocolate poison a dog. My dog ate chocolate cake and I cant find a vet to ask. Does anyone know? General Dog Discussions
    • I would check with your vet asap!! Chocolate is one of the worst things your dog could eat! I would watch him closley and take him to the vet as soon as you can!!

• CHOCOLATE IS VERY POISONOUS FOR DOGS!!! Keep an eye on your dog and see if he starts acting weird, or if he wont go #2 chocolate will block the system. He may have some problems if he is small and he ate a lot...Call your vet and double check

• They say chocolate is bad for your dogs, but I have been told by MY vet that the dark chocolate is what is so dangerous to our dogs, there is something in it that is very bad for dogs, but the other chocolate is bad too. We do give our dogs a treat every now and then and CJ is 18 years old, chocolate has never hurt him...

• Chocolate is very bad for dogs, and you should certainly get him into a vet. But don't panic. My dog ate oreos (like a whole bag of em) and died of old age about 6 years later.

• How big is your dog how much did it eat. Chocolate can cause dogs to have the runs and being sick at thier tummy or it can kill them. If ut is under 10 pounds find a vet now. Here is something that might help.http://www.helium.com/tm/93163

• Don't panic! A couple of cupcakes are not going to kill the dog!While chocolate is bad for dogs, it takes A LOT of it to do any harm. Bakers and dark chocolate are the worst, but it still takes 1/3 the dog's weight in chocolate before it does harm!The dog will probably have diarhea for a couple of days, but it'll be fine.

• Your dog needs to get immediate medical attention, dogs react very badly to chocolate. If the cupcakes were chocolate, don't freak but still take it to the vet. If it was the frosting, get it to an emergency clinic NOW! Be very careful, chocolate can kill animals. Good luck, I hope your dog does fine.

• Chocolate is toxic to dogs...but if it was only chocolate cake, there may have been very little actual chocolate in the mix. Just watch him & unless he behaves strangely or vomits, then he is probably fine. Here's a great site that will help you:

• It is not good for a dog to eat lots of chocolate. But two cup cakes is not a lot. You need to not worry about the little treat that your pooch has gotten. You just need to make sure that this does not become a real often treat. If he were to eat lots of chocolate or cocoa then you may need to worry but even then he usually will be ok, just sick stomach.

• Yes, chocolate is poisonous to dogs. However, the emergency vet clinic told me that the point of danger was when the dog eats about 1 ounce of chocolate per pound of body weight. I recommend checking with a vet clinic to make sure. If you need to make your dog throw up do not use ipecac. Hydrogen peroxide is what to use, but only enough to induce vomiting, if is too much it can burn the stomach lining.

• My 30# dog ate 10 chocolate brownies as I forgot to put the bag up. She got really fat and threw up a lot but lived. Since then, I have learned not to give a dog chocolate. Since your dog has already eaten the cupcakes, you probably know by now how bad it is. If your dog throws up continously, call the vet. Keep an eye on your small friend, and keep that people food put away. You are his caregiver and he trusts you to keep him in the best of health.

• Chocolate is bad for a dog and there are usually a lot of vets listed in the phone book so pick one out and call, since your baby is a min. schnauzer they shouldn't weigh more than 20 lbs., there is a LOT of chocolate in the frosting so let you fingers do the walking until you can get a vet who will tell you something. If there is no answer at several vets offices (which is impossible for me to imagine) take you little one to the nearest vet clinic or to your reg. vet and tell them what happened. The least that you'll have to pay is the office visit fee as the vet will treat your dog or aleave your concerns.