Is a dachsund a good dog for small children?

My daughter lives with me and has a son who is still a baby. Would a dachsund puppy be a good choice?

My daughter lives with me and has a son who is still a baby. Would a dachsund puppy be a good choice?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is a dachsund a good dog for small children?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is a dachsund a good dog for small children?

Is a dachsund a good dog for small children? Dog Breed Discussions
      My daughter lives with me and has a son who is still a baby. Would a dachsund puppy be a good choice?

Is a dachsund a good dog for small children? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have a dachshund and she is very afraid of small children. I don't know if most dachshunds are like this or if it is because she was mainly raised around adults. We got her when my children were teenagers. But our neighbors children try to play with her sometimes and their quick, darty movements scare the pee (literally) out of her. I think in general smaller dogs can be frightened of children

• I absolutely love weener dogs!!! They are wonderful dogs. I don't have children but I suspect they would be just fine. They are very friendly dogs towards their owners. However they tend to get very clingy. They will follow you everywhere, take attention away from other animals, and sleep in bed with you all night with their head on the pillow. If you think this is great, then by all means get one. The only problem I've experienced with them is they tend to be very protective. They will definently attack everything that could be a potential threat to you or your children, so just keep an eye on them.

• I have a dachshund and two small children.I got my dog as a puppy and she has been excellent with my kids! Dachshunds are small enough to be easily manageable but, with the "attitude" of a big dog. They make terrific watch dogs (not guard dogs!) as they have a bigger bark than their body which will keep away prowlers.But, please be aware, that she will probably NOT be friendly to children outside your family. Dachshunds are notorious for not liking strangers. They will be VERY loyal to your family but, not to outsiders. So, please keep your guard up if any of your grandchild's friends come over.Also, they are stubborn learners. So, you must keep on top of them constantly as a pup to housebreak them. Or you might have permanent problems in that department.For a child's pet, I recommend a wire-haired dachshund as they tend to be more laid back and fun than their counterparts (the smooth and long haired). They have been described as having a clown-like personality and will amuse you with their antics.My last word of advice is to make sure that you explain to your grandson (when he is old enough) that dachshunds have very delicate backs. So, NO teaching puppy tricks like how to beg or jump on their hind legs. This will put too much strain on the back and can cause slipped disks and the like. But, other than that, dachshunds are very hardy little dogs and enjoy playing.For a smaller dog, I would definitely recommend this breed for children. They tend not to be as nervous and "nippy" as other small breed dogs.So, good luck!

• I have a friend who has a dachsund. This breed frequently has spine problems and children while hugging and learning to handle animals could easily contribute to these problems early on. I would check with an obedience school or vet about their suggestions with a little child just getting to the age for enjoying a pet with you.

• of course!!! they are one of the most down to earth and friendliest dogs in the world. they are esp great with kids, small kids, those dogs absolutely adores children. when i shop at my local pet store I often run into a family, small toddler boy, his two older sisters, and their mom. their daschund is so well behaved, patient, and cuteee!!! they have much more patience then chihuahuas and chihuahuas can get really hyper sometimes. have fun adopting!!! good luck!!

• I have had a dacshund before. If you have babies and small children in your future or life, think long and hard about getting a Dachshund, as this breed is not generally good with children. If you are considering a Dachshund, I recommend you contact vets in your area and get price estimates on annual medical care. In addition, find out that if the worst was to happen and your Dachshund was one of the unlucky ones to have back problems, what kind of monies should you have set aside for non-surgical and surgical treatments of those problems.Is this breed good with children?Children and dogs should never be left alone and unattended even for a moment. Young children do not have proper dog etiquette and dogs do not understand a child's behavior. This can result in tragedy with any breed of dog. This breed tends to not be recommended for young children. The breed's stubborn, no-nonsense nature can result in conflicts with small children. They are also vulnerable to back injuries if mishandled. Generally responsible, gentle, older children that have reached an age that is able to understand the needs and responsibility of caring for this breed will prove compatible. Like children, each dog is also different in personality, energy and patience levels. So, each dog and child relationship should be considered as individual.Here are some small dog breeds that are generally good with children. Rat Terriers( sometimes called Feists)Great with children, especially if raised with them from childhood. Protective and make great guard dogs. This breed comes in three sizes- toy, minature,and standard size. Easy to groom, my rat terriers were easy to train. They sometimes are mistaken for Toy Fox Terriers and Jack Russel Terriers. All three breeds are have became popular, exspecially the Rat and Jack russel terriers since the release of the movie MY DOG SKIP. They are recognized by Ukc,Ckc,Nkc,Ukci,Acr,Rtci,Rtba,apri,acr and recently AKC!Another great breed is the Shiba Inu. Another breed i have had and I must say its also another of my favorites. They make great companions for children.They may be a bit reserved with strangers though.They bark little, bond closely with thier owners. Not big breed. Though really not a good to have around with smaller animals then themselves(birds, mice, rodent) My shiba went after some geese! Great watchdogs! Loyal, independent but affectionate. Easy to train, house train is a snap because they are naturally fastidious. This breed is generally healthy with few genertic health problems. A small proportion have had hip dysplasia and PRA. Some lines are prone to patelluar luxationI(slipped knee cap). The shiba inu is a easy dog to travel with. With its water proof , all weather coat protects it from both the heat and cold conditions. The shiba looks like a bit like akitas. They are in fact part of the Spitz family(sled dogs). There are other breeds of course that I could list but my fingers are cramping, I have listed my two favorite breeds, they are small. I have other breeds that are bigger that i love as well but since you wanted a dacshund i figured you wanted a small dog. Anyhow here are some big dogs taht are great with children.Golden retrieverLabsPyrenssesNewfoundlandAkbashSaint Benard, Bernise mountain dogsbest of luck to you!

• Mini dauchshunds are less tempermental, and are good if raised with them from puppyhood. Just keep in mind that, a Mini dauchshund's spine is very fragile, and when the child gets older, they do not act too rough with it.

• No. They can have back problems because their bodies are so long. A small child may accidentally fall on the dog and hurt its back, or even paralyze it. Get a sturdier but child-tolerant breed of dog. I heard that Old English Sheepdogs really like children. Other breeds are known for being good with children as well. Do a lot of research and you'll be sure to find the perfect dog for your family.

• I have a website that can help you. You do a little questionaire and the next page will bring up some breeds that may be good for your situation- www.petnet.com.au and then click on "selectapet". It is based in Australia though, so there might be some breeds that don't show up in the quiz.I also found www.akc.org to be very helpful in finding out about different breeds of dogs.Good Luck

• As long as you get the dog as a puppy. That goes for any dog. Dachsunds are also good to have, if you have anyone in the home that has asthma. Don't ask me why, but it's true. My son has asthma and it made a difference. Make sure the puppy is around the baby as much as possible. Most dogs that are not around children when they are pups are not good with children.