Do any of you keep your dogs outside all year in cold weather?

If so what are ways you use to keep them warm.Right now i keep a 40 watt heat bulb in her dog house and check often that its not to hot. its a well insulated dog house with a window so i can see her when i look out and she also has a heated water dish.

Do any of you keep your dogs outside all year in cold weather?

If so what are ways you use to keep them warm.Right now i keep a 40 watt heat bulb in her dog house and check often that its not to hot. its a well insulated dog house with a window so i can see her when i look out and she also has a heated water dish....
    General Dog Discussions : Do any of you keep your dogs outside all year in cold weather?...

• Yes:water and food any time they want it,If you buy the proper size House for dog He-She are warm,my dogs in seperate Kennels,fed separate,cement floors cleaned daily,and Disfenct.top metal forSun protection.My Black Lab Bred to hit Ice water and retrieve Goose or Duck.,Labs have two coates of Hair,you wouldn"t take dog into the lake if He has been in house and bathed too often ,They need that oil and Hair,My other two Dogs ,Redbone Hound,will Hit Riverwide open after the masked Bandit,English Red Tic storman Norman will not quit on Me,Water ,Rocks whatever ,He will not quit untill I am ready to Hit the Bed.Oh yes they talk to me.Keepthese type dogs in house or pen and don"t take to the Woods,they become Neurotic,That is where I see people Restrained they become Neurotic,start doing wierd things.

• Don't listen to people who say its cruel to keep your pet outside! My God people! Such pissy responses make me SICK! If your a responsible owner and you do these things...1) Use proper bedding 2) Make sure your pet has a comfortable dog house that doesn't leak and isn't drafty.3) Make sure they have food and water that isn't frozen4) Keep a check on their comfort/warmth level5) Keep them up to date on their shots, worming, and flea treatments5) Treat your pet well and love them. Not throw them in the yard and forget they need love too!Theres no reason your pet can't stay outside!I have pets inside and outside that belong to me AND have fosters here that would be DEAD if I had not rescued them! I abide by these basic rules myself and ALL the animals here are HEALTHY AND LOVED. I even go as far as putting thick comforters fresh, clean and warm right out of the dryer in their dog houses at night! Let me tell you something....the last 6 dogs I rescued that are at my home now came from a county shelter. When I picked them up it was below freezing...their kennels where they were held were wet, cold and outside. They had nowhere to get away from the elements and those conditions are SATISFACTORY FOR THE STATE. If you people want to vent or show your @** .... go to your local shelter...not the human society...the county shelter, check out their kennels and show it there! Don't give people a hard time that have outside dogs when its obvious this person loves his dog and does alot more to insure its comfort alot more than most people!!!GOOD LORD PEOPLE!!!!Sir, I can tell you love your dog and its fine for her to be outside as long as shes not neglected which it doesn't sound like she is!You keep loving your dog!!! She'll keep loving you!!Peaches

• No. I have a pitbull puppy and my boyfriend and I only let him outside in the cold no longer then 10 minutes. I know huskys like the cold so i guess it depends on what kind of dog it is. ^^

• NOOOOO .... every dog i will ever own will be an inside dog. I dont think it is right to keep a dog out side at all unless he/she is just out there for a little while (playing or using the bathroom) I think that is abuse to animals. I have a boxer mix and soon to get another full breed boxer and they both will be in m house and sleeping with me and my fiance in the same bed until.........

• I had two huskys Brandy I had for twelve years and Jack I had for 9 years... they lived outside year round... although the summers where very hard on them... I had to make sure they had shelter from the elements and you have to make sure they have clean water.

• You must be kidding or the same type of fool that expects the dog to bark when someone breaks through your front door. Why should he the burglar isn't breaking into his house.How can people acquire dogs on the premise that they are going to be a companion and then relegate them to the back yard and a 4' x 2' shed to sleep in. I could never leave a pet alone in the cold and dark and loathe those who do.

• I only have house dogs at this time. When we were raising Labs we made our our dog houses for them. They were insulated (like our house) with anothe layer of plywood to protect them from the insulation, the houses were also sided. We did not use straw on the inside as this can attract unwanted pests. We went to the local Goodwill and bought comforters and heavy blankets. The houses should not be overly large as the body heat the the animal will warm their house. We made a "doggie door" out of rubber mounted with swinging hinges over the opening so the dogs could enter and exit but the majority of the doorway was covered to block cold air. Hope this helps you.

• You know....a lot of folks leave their animal out side all year long. Listen...they get very hot requiring special attention, They get very cold requiring special attention. These are GODS creatures, sometimes they are human beings,....they don't have a house, they don't have AC and they don't have heat...common sence takes over, I LOVE ALL LIVING BEINGS, please, please be kind to all, hug your family, hug your pets, warm them with yourheart and your home.

• Heated water dish???? I live in Australia so I don't understand the concept....I presume it's so the water doesn't freeze?bring your dog inside. Dogs are pack animals and that's where they should be...inside with their pack.Buy a dog crate for your dog to sleep in if you really don't like the dog on carpeted areas.

• I prefer to bring my dogs in for cold weather... you have to remember... they have fur, but they are just like having children. You ave to feed them, give them water, teach them, keep them warm, and take them to the doctor regularly... just as you would a child. If you must keep your dog outside year round, I suggest building a dog house with radiant floor warming, automatic feeder and watering system, and a doggy door to a fenced kennel play/bathroom area... and if the temperature drops below freezing, bring it in your house anyway!

• I know people who live in the south who keep their dogs outside all the time. I live near Chicago and I don't know of a single person who does that here. I think it's cruel and it affects the dog's lifespan and quality of life. My dog is a 75-pound German Sheppherd mix and he lives inside with us. He's not allowed on the furniture and we keep him clean and healthy. We have to vacuum often, but I would never consider putting him outside all the time.

• Ha! Ha! Ha! I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where it's currently 8 degrees out and we haven't had much snow or cold this year. I grew up with 300 inches of snow and very familiar with 30 below temps.Everyone keeps their dogs outside if they are outside dogs. Which means a proper house and they have developed a winter coat. If they are kept outside constantly, the dogs will grow and shed the appropriate coats for the weather they live in. It sounds to me like your dog is almost spoiled! Wow! My three beagles and my husband would love a heated water dish! (No, my husband does NOT drink from a water dish, the husband has to change out the frozen for thawed every day)Our 3 month old puppy is soon to be permanently moved to the kennel outside.We have found the cedar bedding (we bought at Wal-Mart) is the best for warmth and fleas in the winter.

• if the dog is winter dog there's really no major concerns since you've taken steps to keep it comfortale, how ever, you should take the dog off the cahain regularly and let it run and also walk it, ecause dogs that are kept on a chain continually have a better chance at being anti-social and depressed, also, the chain can ecome emedded into the skin and may have to surgically removed so it's important that you give your dog some "free" time and lots of activity.

• either put the dog inside or not have one at all. most of the responsibility is having it inside. im glad you have a heater and all, but i look down on people who leave the dogs outside.

• no,my dog sleeps inside . just train your dog to where when he\she has to go to the bathroom they go to the door then they can sleep inside and stay warm. i couldn't THINK about leaving my puppy outside all night.. so please reconsider that. but if it is a big dog i understand.