What is the best type of dog for an apartment?

I am in college and am expecting a roommate or two and I need a guard dog that is also affectionate. This dog would be walked at least once a day and would have to be alone for a few hours a day (not including weekends). I want a trainable dog but I am…

I am in college and am expecting a roommate or two and I need a guard dog that is also affectionate. This dog would be walked at least once a day and would have to be alone for a few hours a day (not including weekends). I want a trainable dog but I am…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best type of dog for an apartment?...

• What is the best type of dog for an apartment?

What is the best type of dog for an apartment? General Dog Discussions
      I am in college and am expecting a roommate or two and I need a guard dog that is also affectionate. This dog would be walked at least once a day and would have to be alone for a few hours a day (not including weekends). I want a trainable dog but I am stuck on a few breeds. I am hopeless and need help!!!

What is the best type of dog for an apartment? General Dog Discussions
    • http://dogtime.com/matchup/startTake this quiz; it helps.A dog that is good in an apartment may not be perfect for your lifestyle; this is something else you will have to account for.I live in an apartment and have seen a German shepherd, Lab, 4 boxers, a couple of smaller mixed-breed type dogs, a Boston Terrier, 2 Shitzus, and my dog--a Pug.

• Probably one of the smaller breeds. I tried to have a beagle in my apartment, but the landlady made me get rid of her because she barked too much and tore the apartment up. Hounds are not good apartment dogs.