Dog with a similar personality / temperament as the komondor, without the dreadlocks?

I have been looking into this breed, and love all of it's characteristics, but I don't have the time it would take to keep one groomed. Does anyone know of a dog that would be comparable? I don't care about the looks, just the personality and…

Dog with a similar personality / temperament as the komondor, without the dreadlocks?

I have been looking into this breed, and love all of it's characteristics, but I don't have the time it would take to keep one groomed. Does anyone know of a dog that would be comparable? I don't care about the looks, just the personality and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Dog with a similar personality / temperament as the komondor, without the dreadlocks?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog with a similar personality / temperament as the komondor, without the dreadlocks?

Dog with a similar personality / temperament as the komondor, without the dreadlocks? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have been looking into this breed, and love all of it's characteristics, but I don't have the time it would take to keep one groomed. Does anyone know of a dog that would be comparable? I don't care about the looks, just the personality and temperament.(good with kids, cats, other dogs & other animals, good guard dog abilities, loyal)

Dog with a similar personality / temperament as the komondor, without the dreadlocks? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Why not just get a komondor and keep it in a short cut? I know plenty of komondors that aren't kept in dreadlocks- as a matter of fact they generally aren't kept in the corded look UNLESS they are going into a breed ring.

• Sincerely hope you have the experience to cope with a komondor. I hadn't appreciated just how hard they are to raise until a friend of mine had one. She is an experienced handler and still finds him hard.I would speak to people within the breed anyway if you do choose to get one of those after all.

• We have a Great Pyrenees which are also flock guardians and have almost the same temperament but a little more mild. Komondors are serious working dogs and have a very serious temperament. Great Pyrenees are a little less territorial, and less aggressive. The Pyrenees are great with children and small animals. Like the Komondor they are a very dominant breed so may not get along with other dominant breeds. They can be dominant to the point of being dog aggressive, but are extremely loyal and loving. That being said they are DEFINITELY NOT a Lab. They don't always get along with every other dog, (infact it's sometimes the opposite) are notorious night barkers, notorious diggers, and do not always listen. They are difficult to train as they have very much a mind of their own. Other flock guardians like the Akbash I wouldn't really reccommend as pets as, again, they are serious working dogs and can be pretty difficult to manage and are prone to "urban confusion" which is a condition where they can be confused by loud noises, not knowing what they should be protecting you from or where their territory is, to the point of becoming aggressive. They need absolute constant socialization.I would also suggest a Newfoundland or Landseer as these dogs are great with kids and other dogs and animals. They are a little easier to train and are fantastic family companions. One breeder of the Pyrenees I talked to claimed that the Landseer was derived from the Pyr and other breeds like the Saint Bernard.