What is the best dog to have in an apartment?

We are only allowed dogs from size small-medium that don't bark excessively. What type of dog do you think would be best?There is nothing wrong with having a dog in an apartment. In fact, most of the people in the complex do have dogs and don't have alot…

What is the best dog to have in an apartment?

We are only allowed dogs from size small-medium that don't bark excessively. What type of dog do you think would be best?There is nothing wrong with having a dog in an apartment. In fact, most of the people in the complex do have dogs and don't have alot…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best dog to have in an apartment?...

• I'd say a chihuahua, but they do bark alot. Maltese's are small dont shed and yes if you give them trims once in a while they wont grow up to look like a mop. They are probably the best.

• A well trained dog. I'm not trying to be funny either. Whatever you decide to get go to an obedience class. Having an animal love you & look to you for the next thing to do rather than the animal telling you what to do will be a REALLY good thing. Enjoy your little-medium mate!

• Check out little dogs at the pound first. You can also contact your local pet store to see if there are any listing for pups from breeders. Ask plenty of questions before purchasing a dog to make sure that it is suitable for your lifestyle.

• I don't have a specific suggestion, but suggest you look at the activity of a dog - small dogs such as a chihuaha(sp?) can be very active.While your larger dogs like the Great Dane are not as active (and actually do mkae great aparment dogs) just apartments don't like their size.From when I was younger I remember my parents having poodles in an apratment. (not the smaller ones - the standard size)My mom owns a small dog, that's known for it's 'herding' ability - these types of dogs are very active. Remember they are supposed to be out herding cattle/sheep whatever - they may herd your children, if you have them... if they have energy to herd sheep - do you wnat it? Becareful if the breed is known to be a "watch dog" those will bark."Guard dogs" like a german shepherd are less likely to bark - but more likely to attack (if trained)If I had to pick the breed right now - I'd probably go for a Cocker Spaniel.But definately take the time to research the activity and behavior and what the dog was originally bred to do.

• There are several breeds that would probably be a great apartment dog. I wouldn't recommend a Basenji, even though they are the "barkless" dogs because they too can make noise especially when left alone. From my experience I would recommend a rat terrier because they are very good dogs and I have had three. They come in toy-standard size though the toy would be the best bet for you I think. They are recognized by the UK in case if you want a purebred.

• Bichon, poodles or yorkies would be the best choice. They do no shed, and very smart easy to train. Also you can get a bark collar from Wal-Mart and this will break them form barking worked great on my yorkie. I would pull it off she would bark once I put a bandanna on her and she did not bark thought it was the bark collar. These would work best in apartment do not need excessive exercise. Wagging tails and wet puppy kisses yo you.

• I had a rat terrier on the truck with me for the longest time and I have seen alot of other drivers with jack russell terriers, They are smart and alot of fun to play with. If they can fit in the lifesytle of truckdriving I am sure they would be great apartment dogs.

• A dog you personally dislike, so it won't upset you that it slowly goes literally crazy. Every single thing about dogs is designed to live outside, with other dogs, not alone in a building all day. If you had a nice car, and you kept driving it underwater, would you be surprised that it didn't work after a while? No. Because the car was not designed to be driven underwater. You cannot argue with the fact that nature, or God or whatever you want to call it, has made dogs to live outside with other dogs. It is cruelty to have a dog in an apartment. It is selfish and will not provide a dog with a satisfying appropriate home. Get a fish or a rat.