Is my Great Pyrenees small for his age (7 mo. at 61lbs & 24" at the shoulder)?

Hi, I have a 7 month old Great Pyrenees that seems small from everything I've read and researched. He's a little over 60 lbs and only 24" at the shoulder. Am I correct in my assessment of his small stature considering his breed? A couple of things to…

Hi, I have a 7 month old Great Pyrenees that seems small from everything I've read and researched. He's a little over 60 lbs and only 24" at the shoulder. Am I correct in my assessment of his small stature considering his breed? A couple of things to…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is my Great Pyrenees small for his age (7 mo. at 61lbs & 24" at the shoulder)?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is my Great Pyrenees small for his age (7 mo. at 61lbs & 24" at the shoulder)?

Is my Great Pyrenees small for his age (7 mo. at 61lbs & 24" at the shoulder)? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi, I have a 7 month old Great Pyrenees that seems small from everything I've read and researched. He's a little over 60 lbs and only 24" at the shoulder. Am I correct in my assessment of his small stature considering his breed? A couple of things to take into account - his parents were both only about 85-90 lbs according to the rescuer that I adopted my dog from, but both were severely malnourished. I'm guessing if they were healthy, they could/would have been significantly larger. Also, the rescuer told me his mom may have actually been an Akbash (A fairly unknown giant breed, bigger than Pyrenees'). If that's the case, wouldn't that make my dog significantly smaller than he should be?Please don't give me the Pyrenees ideal height/weight sizes. I've received tons of different information from research, vets and the rescuer herself about our dog. I'm hoping there's someone out there with a lot of knowledge about the breed that could give me an estimate to his full grown size based on his size now, and let me know if he really is small for his breed(s). If you have a Pyrenees that was around the same size at the same age, could you tell me how large your dog ended up being once full grown? Also, I've read that dogs are around 75% of their full height at 6 months old & you can usually double their weight at 4 months old to get an idea of their full size. If this is the case, please keep in mind that since I've had my dog, he's gained over 30lbs in 4 months and has grown about 4"-6" in height in those 4 months. My thinking is that he's not far away from doubling his weight at 4 months old already and his project height should be 30" based on the 6 month-75% idea. Despite this, my dog still seems small for his age compared to almost all other Pyr's I've seen or read about.Thanks in advance!BrandonI would like to really know more information about his potential height based on his height now! Any knowledgeable information/experience on this is even mopre appreciated!Thanks!

Is my Great Pyrenees small for his age (7 mo. at 61lbs & 24" at the shoulder)? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Doubling the weight at 4 months only really works for small dogs. My puppy was 8 lbs at 4 months and is 31 lbs at 11 months. You do the math :-PI had a pyr mix growing up who was about the weight of your guy when he was 7 months old. He ended up being 100 lbs fully grown (105 when he was a bit chubby).Giant breeds often grow until they are 18 months-2 years old. Don't fret that he is growing a bit slower...it's actually BETTER for their joints.Good Luck!

• I'm unsure why this is such an urgent need to know for you. I cannot think of any reason why estimating his adult size would be so important to you. As far as I know, the Akbash is generally in the same size range as the pyr, not larger.If the rescue can give you the size and weight of both parents, the pup will most likely be somewhere between the size and weight of it's mother and father. That's your most accurate estimation means. While the average adult male pyr weighs about 120#, this can vary a lot... from 85# range up to 185# range. There's also a range in adult height that's considered average, which you probably found at the akc website and other places. My adult male is 87# and my 14 month old male pup is 110#. In all genetics there's what they call a "bell curve". There's the average at the top of the bell where most pups will fall, compared to parental height and weight. There is no way to know how any individual pup will turn out compared to the parents. If your dog is 60# now at 7mo, I'd expect him to be on the low end of height/weight like my adult male. Pyrs gain most of their adult height / weight somewhere between 6 and 9 months. Then the growth slows considerably and from 18 mo to 2 years they gain mostly in muscle mass. If you want to discuss this with people who have a better chance of knowing, you should talk to the breeders in a good Yahoo pyr group, not the masses from all over the world at YA. If the rules you found about doubling weight at 4 months, or 75% of weight at 6 months, are about dogs in general, those rules don't hold true for pyrs. Pyr pups tend to gain on average about 10# per month for the first 6 to 9 months, then they taper off. Most pyr owners don't track the height at withers of their pups on a regular basis. They simply track weight. Please join our pyr group and ask the breeders.If you wish to know if your pyr is part akbash, there's a link at the group for DNA testing you can have done. -!-