Bad news ?

Well a couple of weeks ago, I asked a question about APBT's and told ya'll that when I move, I''ll get an APBT. Well, I got some bad news.Aparently, I've been told that most apartments don't allow APBTs. And we didn't want to stress over trying to find…

Bad news ?

Well a couple of weeks ago, I asked a question about APBT's and told ya'll that when I move, I''ll get an APBT. Well, I got some bad news.Aparently, I've been told that most apartments don't allow APBTs. And we didn't want to stress over trying to find…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Bad news ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bad news ?

Bad news ? Dog Breed Discussions
      Well a couple of weeks ago, I asked a question about APBT's and told ya'll that when I move, I''ll get an APBT. Well, I got some bad news.Aparently, I've been told that most apartments don't allow APBTs. And we didn't want to stress over trying to find an apartment that DOES allow them. So aparently, I may end up finding another breed due to this issue. Ok, so aparently, Im running out of options. I like Mastiff type dogs. I also like Herding dogs and Working breeds. So here are the breeds that I've listed out that interest me..Mastiffs ( Neapolitan, Dogue, and English )Boerboel ( I was told by a breeder that can live an apartment and adjust just fine)Akbash dog ( LGD )Caucasian Okvarka (LGD)American BulldogTosa Inu So anyways, basically what im asking is which one could I choose ? I love all of them but it's hard to decide. I have the experience with dogs, it's just complicated. If I would've know it'd be that hard to find an apartment that allows pits..I could walk the dog 1 and 30 minutes before school. And 2 hours after school. I could also walk the dog at night as well.Training isn't a problem as I could find some classes around in the county.Most of the apartment's i've checked out do not allow " Apbt's and Rotts "...Oh yeah, one more thing, NO SMALL DOGS !I do have somewhat of a large apartment.Well according to the contract, it says American Pit Bull Terrier's and Rottweilers.Question: Why I would I select a breed that I had no clue about ? That's insanity and a trouble waiting to happen.Alot of the apartment's in our area don't really have weight restrictions. Except the ones that are like brand spanking new or ones that are higher class.

Bad news ?

Bad news ? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I'd go with the American Bulldog. A lot of people mistaken them for pits. My buddy has one and he's a great dog. Good with kids and other dogs too. Check into it. They are smaller than the other breeds you have listed so it might be better. If you're living in an apartment, you might not want a very large dog. Not fair for the dog.

• An English Mastiff is a large powerful dog that would require a very large apartment, at the very least, it sound to me like you are trying to convince yourself about the dog walking you can provide, I sometimes wonder why the people on these pages select unappropriate breeds for their situation, the answer that come up everytime is vanity, I think what you should do is research into the consequences of making a poor decision when you are selecting a large powerful breed of dog, thats all, no lecture, just research that before you choose.

• I really want a mastiff so I vote that. I got a great pyrenees because they don't require a whole lot of excersise and are laid back indoors but i'd love to have a mastiff and a great dane and....all those other big dogs that are said to be "gentle giants" (My mom can only handle fuzzy big dogs-not big vicious looking ones!). Anyways-make sure whatever you get doesn't require to much excersise and isn't to over the top hyper. You'll have to watch the big booming bark so you don't offend to many people too.I do vote the mastiff though and think you should get one from a rescue.

• Does the apartment contract say "American Pit Bull Terrier" or just "Pit Bull?" I would check and double check that the "ban" is just on those two breeds (APBT and Rottie) before getting any of the dogs you listed. Most (all) of them can fall under the "Pit Bull" category and the manager may not allow them for that reason.As far as what breed.... well, it's up to you! Whichever you can find and afford to take care of, but i personally like the French Mastiff (Dogue.)

• I'd go with a shelter dog - a mutt of some sort.I have no problems with any of those breeds, but most of them will be an issue with your lease as well. Many places don't allow the "dangerous breeds", but it's just as common for complexes to have weight restrictions. Most of the time the limit is 35lbs or 50lbs, so big dogs aren't allowed. (Don't get me wrong; most little dogs are at least as destructive as the large ones. I'd WAY rather a renter have a Newfoundland than a JRT, but most landlords are intimidated by the size...)Edit:Your current lease might not restrict them, but if there's even a slight chance that you might move to another apartment, you need to consider these things.

• Well the closest to the Pit in that list is the American Bulldog. So, since you really wanted a Pit, but can't get one, I suggest you go with the AmB. They're okay in apartments if exercised sufficiently.Same with the Mastiffs.I personally like the Akbash, but they are not suited to apartment life, regardless of the amount of exercise provided.I also like the Tosa, I think they're fine living in apartments as long as they get a good amount of exercise.But it's up to you. Which of the breeds temperaments do you like the most?

• Isn't that so frustrating? Two of the places I've rented in this city had a ban on "pit bulls." Didn't specify breed, they just summed it up with that term.I don't know anything about the breeds you listed as far as temperament and all that goes, so I'm not really in a place to voice an opinion on one of those.However, I will suggest this...if you have your heart set on a pit....why not go to the shelter and see if they have a pit x ___ mix. I know that at my city shelter, if it is a lab/pit mix....they call it a "lab mix" because they know pits have a hard time getting out of the shelter and there are a ton of bans around here. You may not want a mutt...but I thought I'd at least throw that option out there. Best of luck!