Dog staggering around?

Just a couple minutes ago our 2 year old Akbash started to stagger and fell down about 5 stairs. When she stood up her back end fell back down but she kept trying to walk and this continued for about 3 minutes. My husband and his friend got her into the…

Dog staggering around?

Just a couple minutes ago our 2 year old Akbash started to stagger and fell down about 5 stairs. When she stood up her back end fell back down but she kept trying to walk and this continued for about 3 minutes. My husband and his friend got her into the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Dog staggering around?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog staggering around?

Dog staggering around? Dog Breed Discussions
      Just a couple minutes ago our 2 year old Akbash started to stagger and fell down about 5 stairs. When she stood up her back end fell back down but she kept trying to walk and this continued for about 3 minutes. My husband and his friend got her into the car and are on their way to the vet but it's an hour away ( I had to stay with the baby or I would have went) and I'm freaking out so I'm wondering if anyone had any ideas. She's had all her shots. We have 3 other big Gaurdian dogs and 3 little dogs and they are all fine.Just before this happend she was laying on the deck playing with one of the little dogs she was fine. She sleeps in the house but does go out in the morning and wander in the fields with our other dogs. Anybody have any ideas?? Could it have been some sort of seizure?

Dog staggering around?

Dog staggering around? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It was probably just a seizure. I guess dogs do this fairly often, or once in a while. The best thing to do if a dog has a seizure is just let it pass because it only lasts for a couple of minutes. And if you take the dog to the vet, there is really no point because by the time you get there, the seizure has passed and the vets can do nothing about it.

• Moreso than to sit here and try to diagnose your dog's problem I wanted to commend you on your decision to hurry and seek veterinary attention for your dog. That is the most important and responsible thing you could have done as a responsible dog owner. I am not sure what caused your dog's condition, but I certainly want to say that I hope all will be fine for your dog and I will say a little prayer for her to Get Well Soon!!Thank you for being a kind and responsible pet owner! We need more like you!!J. SmithAnimal Control Officer in Virginia

• Yes it is probably a form of seizures. We are going through sort of the same thing with our dog :( hers are bad though. Look up Complex Partial (or Focal) Seizures. It only affects certain parts of the brain...therefore, the dog does not loose conciousness (and can walk around).