Akbash versus Bernese mountain dog?

which of these dogs is more friendly towards people? and are any other differences of personality between the two?

which of these dogs is more friendly towards people? and are any other differences of personality between the two?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Akbash versus Bernese mountain dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Akbash versus Bernese mountain dog?

Akbash versus Bernese mountain dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      which of these dogs is more friendly towards people? and are any other differences of personality between the two?

Akbash versus Bernese mountain dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would go with a Bernese Mountain Dog. I have an Anatolian Shepherd mix which is very similar to the Akbash. He is only 5 months old and has shown signs of aggression with other animals since he was very young. He is tough to train, aloof, and very disobedient. Due to their history for aggression I was not able to participate in schutzhund with him. Trainers have quoted me extra due to his breed/nature, etc. I have not heard of as much problems with Bernese Mountain Dogs as I have with these dogs. Akbash dogs need a job and need good training. Bernese mountain dogs are also working dogs but I believe they are known more for a better temperament. I would say go with a Bernese Mountain dog if you are looking for friendly easier dog. Akbash's are very hard headed and can be aggressive!

• If I were you I would go for Bernese mountain dog. All that those 2 breeds have in common are 4 paws. :)Akbash is a serious breed that needs an experienced owner, Bernese is a toy.

• I have to agree. Akbash's are VERY protective and can be very agressive to other dogs. These are working dogs to the max!! They very dilegently guard their herds, MUST be worked and trained. I've seen one with an FCE (paralyzed) still try to kill a dog that walked by its cage. They are very loyal to their people, but not good with other dogs (unless the other dog was there first). Berners are stubborn too, but more trainable, a loof and friendly. They do not have a predilection towards being agressive (unless the environment permits such). I love the akbash, but I think for a family dog, especially if you want to ADD pets, you should go with the berner.