How much aspirin can a dog have?

Maybe somebody out there is a Vet or has experience with animals. Here is my problem: I have an elderly Akbash pure breed. He weight is in the 190 - 200 range and due to age and weight, he is having problems with pain due to arthritis and…

Maybe somebody out there is a Vet or has experience with animals. Here is my problem: I have an elderly Akbash pure breed. He weight is in the 190 - 200 range and due to age and weight, he is having problems with pain due to arthritis and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much aspirin can a dog have?...

• How much aspirin can a dog have?

How much aspirin can a dog have? Dog Breed Discussions
      Maybe somebody out there is a Vet or has experience with animals. Here is my problem: I have an elderly Akbash pure breed. He weight is in the 190 - 200 range and due to age and weight, he is having problems with pain due to arthritis and inflammation in his back legs. He was taking Rimydal but is no longer taking it. These are his last days and I want to make him as comfortable as possible. Does anyone know how many aspirin I can give him or another way to help him with his pain just enough to get him outside to "do his business"? I have been giving him 2 aspirin (325 mg each) every 12 hours but it does not seem to be helping. If anyone has any suggestions (other than putting him to sleep -- don't bother replying), I would greatly appreciate it.Thank you in advance to anyone with serious knowledge and help.Tracy

How much aspirin can a dog have? Dog Breed Discussions
    • you really should talk to your vet before medicating your dog.Honestly, if he was prescribed rimadyl to help with the pain, then he needs to be on rimadyl or some other prescription main medication thru your vet.. asprin is not as strong as rimadyl and will no longer help your dog.

• Dog aspirin has the same ingredients as people aspirin.Ask your vet what is a safe amount to give him. I'm guessing it would be the same amount as a 200 lb human, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure 2 aspirin every 6 hours would be OK.Call the vet! There are animal clinics open 24/7, just pick up the phone and ask.

• It's heartbreaking...we had a dog who lived to be sixteen....and was going through the same thing. We were told only baby aspirins. We also had a mattress on the floor for her and a heating pad on LOW which seemed to help. The only thing I know about is the Rimydal for arthritic pain.Sometime a massage is helpful. Good luck to you.Call the Vet for the question re: aspirin and the dosage.

• This is the same dose the vet gave my dog yesterday but a dog can take this dose for ONLY three days or it becomes toxic to their system. You may ask your vet for Metacam and Tramadol. It is given by weight and can really ease the pain. It does wonders for my dog who has cancer. I ran out so the vet suggested the coated aspirin until I get the refill.

• Has your vet recommended giving your dog aspirin? In large and/or frequent doses it can can ulcers, which would be another problem added to your dog's pain. If Rimadyl is no longer an option, there are other medications such as Tramadol that can help him manage his pain better. Talk to your vet- good luck.

• If your dog is having arthritic issues, aspirin is not going to help. What you need is a NSAID, like rimadyl which you could use in junction with a medication called tramadol. Aspirin is great for as needed purposes. If he is taking Rimadyl you don't want to give aspirin on top of that, it can cause gastric ulcers.

• I have a small dog and the vet said to give her 1/2 of a baby aspirin every 4 hrs.I used to have an Australian Shepherd and the same vet told us to give her 1 regular aspirin every 4 hrs,I don't know what she weighed.Giving aspirin to dogs is different than a human taking it.I would call the vet and ask him/her.Be sure to give the aspirin on a full stomach as it can cause serious stomach problems.Good luck.

• None! Dogs should not be given Aspirin, Ibuprophen, Tylenol, nothing like that. Call your Vet and ask what he can prescribe.My husband uses Tramadol sometimes.

• well 190-200 that like a average male adult! thats a big doggy!! he heh! you can probley give him a whole tylonal don't give him asprin make there blood thin :( same with advil(wich also leads to fainting of the animal)if he is haveing staying asleep at night give him a whole benadryl at night i give my boston terrier (22 pounds) a half at night for his allergiesalso if hes having trouble eatting or keeping it down A:put him on the science diet (dry dog food) or B: put him on really good brand of soft food.plenty of water also and ask ur vet about some golden years medications it for dog who are getting older and need there vitamins andmeats and veggies u may just be able to buy them at a store but yes just make him a comfortble as possible just let him relax and do what he wants and let him know it ok to well... i mean dogs don't want to leave there people just love him unconditonaly.good luck!

• My dog suffered with arthritis in the last years of her life. She was having 1 asprin every 12 hours, she weighed 16kgs.I had a doggy electric blanket she slept on, which helped warm up her joints. There are a lot of natural supplements which you can buy that work really well. I was giving my dog 3 capsules (broken in half and liquid poured out of fish oil with her food, and tinned sardines which helped her joints. You can also give her glucosatimine, a natural supplement for joints, or shark cartliage tablets.In australia we have a product called sashas blend, which is a supplement, which is very popular, maybe google it, you may be able to find a similar product where you live?I have a friend with an arthritic dog. She takes her dog to weekly reiki sessions. I didnt think it would work, but her dog is now running, which it hasnt done in years. There are also chiropractors for dogs, that may help.Try to keep your dog lean. The less weight on their joints, the better.Good luck

• Im really sorry :o( If the aspirin arent working so well for him I know that petsmart carries and aspirin made for dogs, they may even have some other type of "pain relief" that might be suitable for your situation. I really do hope your able to find something to make his last days comfortable :o)

• Hiya,We had a dog with the same problem, rimadyl is a strong anti inflamatory and works quickly. We also used metacam which you can get from the vets but this is more of a long term thing..Now listen to this and it was like a miracle for us, We thought our dog would go because of his back legs going wobbly dog syndrome we called it. We went to supermarket and got pedigree chum sticks with glucosamine in and he had one a day, within a week we saw great improvement. We then went to our local store and bought glucosamine with sulphate in and he had one tablet each day and for 6 months he went fine and his legs greatly improved...Sadly he got cancer and we lost him aged 14 10 weeks ago, but his back legs were great in the end, we had our last walk and it was lovely to see him running round again..Not sure about aspirin, check with your vets, people mean well but can give wrong advice..Glucosamine will do no harm and can be bought at chemist, pound shops, herb shops, same as the adult dose one tablet a day.

• That dosage can be given every 8 hrs. I'd recommend Ascriptin which is regular aspirin with an antacid coating.You also should speak with your vet about a narcotic based pain killer. It won't help with the inflammation but could possibly be combined with the aspirin.Pain Plus is an all natural product I also use for my old dog. As far as I know, it can be combined with any of the traditional meds, too:http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Genesis-Resources-Canine-Pain-Plus-Formula/152007.aspxIf he's in his last days then do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable. My hearty goes out to you.Best wishes to you both!Edit:After reading some of these answers I'd say do nothing without speaking to your vet!!!Aspirin IS an NSAID...Glucosamine CAN do harm... Tylenol should NEVER be given to a dog or cat!The vet's wife says no aspirin?!? Well, I'm glad she ain't the vet!Benadryl?!? How's that gonna help the dog get around???*sigh*These well meaning people are gonna do more harm than good!

• The vet can get something else beside aspirin that would help your dog out if the other medication wasnt working have your vet get you something else. Aspirin is not good for dogs it can give them a heart attack or other health issues dont trust meds you can buy over the counter check with your vet.