What Livestock guardian dog should I get?

I have livestock and other dogs/coyotes keep attacking and killing them. I tried looking online for a Great Pyrenees breeder or an akbash breeder but it's impossible to find in central california. (modesto, if you know a nearby breeder of the two please…

I have livestock and other dogs/coyotes keep attacking and killing them. I tried looking online for a Great Pyrenees breeder or an akbash breeder but it's impossible to find in central california. (modesto, if you know a nearby breeder of the two please…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What Livestock guardian dog should I get?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What Livestock guardian dog should I get?

What Livestock guardian dog should I get? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have livestock and other dogs/coyotes keep attacking and killing them. I tried looking online for a Great Pyrenees breeder or an akbash breeder but it's impossible to find in central california. (modesto, if you know a nearby breeder of the two please let me know)Are there any other (more common) dogs that would be good guardians?we have 20 sheep...and theres 3 dogs that attack. how many guards dogs should I have?Could rottweilers or german shepherds be good guard dogs to be kept with the flock?thankshow would a donkey beat 3 wild dogs..? just wondering

What Livestock guardian dog should I get? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Great Pyrenees are the most common livestock guardian dogs in the US. There's quite a few rescue organizations for them which might have some puppies sitting around or adults with LGD training. Anatolian Shepherds might be better for the hotter climate of central California. They're somewhat common in the US, but maybe not as much as the Pyr.Maremma Sheepdogs, Kangals, Kuvasz, and Komondors are also good options. I'd suggest the Pyr or the Maremma as being the best options though since they tend to be the least aggressive towards people.Rotties and GSDs aren't really good at being livestock guards. They weren't bred for the independent thinking that the job requires.

• Australian Shepherd, German Shepherd, Border Collie...There are lots of herding dogs, Here's a website you can find lots of breeds. http://www.herdingontheweb.com/dogs.htm

• This is going to sound dumb, but hear me out. You should get a llama. They integrate themselves into the herd and once in they protect it as well as any dog could. The educational farm near me uses llamas to protect their sheep from the wild dogs.

• get a donkey! they are amazing! they will kill any dog that comes in the field or anything! just make sure not to get one of those that r really sweet or anything!

• Hear ne out on this one..The Australian Alpaca is actually a flock guardian..if you get a pair they work together to keep an eye out for predators. Herding sheep away and defending them. And they eat what the sheep eat and you only need to shave them once a year. Plus they're cool.. Now your thinking how are you going to find an Alpaca in o.c well look online i guarantee some.one over there will be breeding them. But.if you're determine to get a dog maybe try a mastiff. They should be easy to find.

• Hi,AKC German Shepherds Puppies for Sale - $800 (Pembroke Pines)These Puppies are so Cute!Pure Breed, Sir & Dam are 3 years old with pedigree back three Generations to Germany, Slovak Republic, and Czech Republic! AKC Registered!Litter Is AKC Registered as well, and Will be ready for Lucky New Owners in one week with Full Deworming and Shots completed and Health Records!Call for more info. Steve (954) 410-6739