my dog has worms on her eyes is she going to die?

my dog is a female inside 1year old shih tzu and recently I noticed these little grains of rice it looked like and and then I started noticing what looked like worms on her eyes,but she takes pills for worms and fleas im highly concerned about her please…

my dog is a female inside 1year old shih tzu and recently I noticed these little grains of rice it looked like and and then I started noticing what looked like worms on her eyes,but she takes pills for worms and fleas im highly concerned about her please…...
    General Dog Discussions : my dog has worms on her eyes is she going to die?...

• my dog has worms on her eyes is she going to die?

my dog has worms on her eyes is she going to die? General Dog Discussions
      my dog is a female inside 1year old shih tzu and recently I noticed these little grains of rice it looked like and and then I started noticing what looked like worms on her eyes,but she takes pills for worms and fleas im highly concerned about her please answer.I have and shes one worm medicine but she was late for this month thoug.I did some research on it though and its called Telazia infection to the eye Its worms but all it had was a dog getting surgrey to get them out.

my dog has worms on her eyes is she going to die? General Dog Discussions
    • I've never heard of anything like this. I'm interested to know what on earth it is. I would be very concered too.Have you taken your dog to the vet?ADD: I just googled it and it seems that it's caused by flies laying eggs in the eyes. It seems the worms need to be surgically removed so it looks like you'll be on your way to the vet with your little dog.Her being on intestinal worm medication won't cure this, evidently. I've never heard of this before. It's rather nasty isn't it.

• The correct nameis Thelazia. She is not going to die but she needs urgent veterinary treatment to preserve her eyesight. This will involve the removal of adult worms with tweezers under anaesthetic and an appropriate topical medication (probably milbemycin a.k.a. Interceptor) to prevent re-infection. If you live in an area where thelazia are prevalent (e.g. Pacific coast), you should switch to Interceptor or generic milbemycin for worm prevention, and apply the doses on schedule. Keeping the fly population down will help to prevent re-infection. This parasite can also infect humans so handle her with care.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelazia_callipaeda