How do i get my baby kitten and adult cat to get along?

i bought a new kitten and my 3year old cat and the kitten doesnt seem to get along very much.how do i get them to get along? HELP!

i bought a new kitten and my 3year old cat and the kitten doesnt seem to get along very much.how do i get them to get along? HELP!...
    General Dog Discussions : How do i get my baby kitten and adult cat to get along?...

• How do i get my baby kitten and adult cat to get along?

How do i get my baby kitten and adult cat to get along? General Dog Discussions
      i bought a new kitten and my 3year old cat and the kitten doesnt seem to get along very much.how do i get them to get along? HELP!

How do i get my baby kitten and adult cat to get along? General Dog Discussions
    • Honestly there isn't much you can really do to force them to get along. I've introduced 3 new cats into my household, and unfortunately, time is just your friend in this situation. They will eventually learn to tolerate each other, and most likely form a bond together. It's just going to take some time. Just make sure you're doing your best to show them both the same amount of attention-it's probably just a territorial thing right now. :)

• Congratulations on your new family member. As far as your adult cat goes it should all be fine given time. There are a few factors here. Since he isn't used to being with another cat he may never become friendly with the new kitten. Plus he's a bit older so adjusting takes longer. Cats are creatures of habit. Any changes cause stress which is what you're seeing right now. That's not a problem as long as they are not actively fighting and don't do more than "discuss" things. Given time they will sort out how they want to interact with each other.There are a couple of things you can do to help this along. Make sure you have at least two litter boxes, three would be even better. Feed them at the same time at opposite sides of the room so that they associate eating (a pleasant thing) with each other. Slowly, and I do mean slowly, move the dishes closer together until they're basically eating together. Make sure they have their own bowls so one cat can't keep the other cat from eating. Rattling the bag and having them come at the same time for healthy treats such as Greenies is another good way of having them spend time closer together.Although they may never be good friends they will learn to live together. It is very rare for two cats to be unable to occupy the same house. Just be patient, give them both lots of loving, and don't force the issue.

• Put the kitten in a bathroom with litter box, water and bed. Your cat will investigate while walking by the door. Bring the kitten out for little play sessions with only one of them on the floor at a time. Hold the other one. Then, put the kitten back in the bathroom. Feed them about 6 feet apart. Do not allow them to approach one another or their bowls. If anyone growls or hisses, move the dishes a little farther apart. Eventually, move the bowls closer every couple days but only as the adult cat tolerates. Don't move too quickly.Eventually, the adult cat will sniff under the door. She may even start to play paw games under the door. You can encourage this by putting little paper balls under the door for them to swat back and forth. Soon, they will get used to one another, but the kitten should stay in the bathroom (except for monitored play sessions), until then. Don't force it, or your adult cat will resent this addition. Talk to the adult cat in a calming tone; pet him/her.

• There are sprays available that contain a certain "pheromone" that makes the cats "like" each other or other people or DOGS, even. Well, it's not like magic, but it's sort of like "kitty cologne" that cats react positively to. You can find these in a good pet supply store, or online. Use as directed, and it may just help them "over the hump" in getting comfortable with others.I currently have the pheromone collar on my one cat who is being aggressive towards one of my other cats. It is certainly calming her down, and she keeps licking it! She LOVES it almost like it's catnip. She's had only a couple nasty incidents so far, and the collar is supposed to last 30 days. I am hoping that the collar will help to the point that after the 30 days, the tensions will have eased between them enough for them to get along without any collar. But it IS having an effect on her!Me... kittyslave23... I know my place.

• cats are territorial and will attack other cats that are new. they will eventually get used to eachother and recognize that it is the other cat's home too, but there is nothing you can do to force it. you just have to wait