I have a 4 year old dog, (shitzu-bichon mix). I am thinking about getting a 12 week old puppy, (shitzu), HELP!

My four year old puppy is litter trained, does very well with people and children, and listens to commands excellently. About two weeks ago I brought home a puppy, (10 weeks at the time), and this seemed to make my four year old act a little strange, and…

I have a 4 year old dog, (shitzu-bichon mix). I am thinking about getting a 12 week old puppy, (shitzu), HELP!

My four year old puppy is litter trained, does very well with people and children, and listens to commands excellently. About two weeks ago I brought home a puppy, (10 weeks at the time), and this seemed to make my four year old act a little strange, and…...
    General Dog Discussions : I have a 4 year old dog, (shitzu-bichon mix). I am thinking about getting a 12 week old puppy, (shitzu), HELP!...

• I have a 4 year old dog, (shitzu-bichon mix). I am thinking about getting a 12 week old puppy, (shitzu), HELP!

I have a 4 year old dog, (shitzu-bichon mix). I am thinking about getting a 12 week old puppy, (shitzu), HELP! General Dog Discussions
      My four year old puppy is litter trained, does very well with people and children, and listens to commands excellently. About two weeks ago I brought home a puppy, (10 weeks at the time), and this seemed to make my four year old act a little strange, and kinda sad. Will this new puppy ruin what I have with my four year old dog?

I have a 4 year old dog, (shitzu-bichon mix). I am thinking about getting a 12 week old puppy, (shitzu), HELP! General Dog Discussions
    • The puppy will change not only what you have with your dog, but also the household dynamic. (Remember, you're adding another member to the pack.) I know its been 2 weeks, but sometimes it may even take a few months to get a good balance flowing with the new animal & the previous animal. Even though your little puppy needs a LOT of attention, remember to give the older one some individual care. Incorporate BOTH dogs in play & give it time.

• No this won't hurt your relationship - he will adjust to the new puppy. He doesn't understand his roll yet . Make sure when you give food or treats that he gets them first. Make sure that he gets the first pet, hug, first everything. The puppy will learn that the other dog is first. Your 4 year old will actually come around. Maybe some playtime, or a walk with the 4year old away from the new pup will make him feel special. I know it's a guilt thing. I had 1 dog and ended up with 3 more . They all adjusted quite well. We had 13 years of doggie fun. Enjoy every minute of your babies!