I have a pickapoo and when anyone tries to pet or talk to her she pees. how can I stop this?

My Pickapoo is about 5years old now. We found her when she was a pup not yet one. we have had her fixed and she is up to date on her shots. It just seems when she gets all excited she pees. It does'nt matter if we ask her if she has to go out or if we…

I have a pickapoo and when anyone tries to pet or talk to her she pees. how can I stop this?

My Pickapoo is about 5years old now. We found her when she was a pup not yet one. we have had her fixed and she is up to date on her shots. It just seems when she gets all excited she pees. It does'nt matter if we ask her if she has to go out or if we…...
    General Dog Discussions : I have a pickapoo and when anyone tries to pet or talk to her she pees. how can I stop this?...

• I have a pickapoo and when anyone tries to pet or talk to her she pees. how can I stop this?

I have a pickapoo and when anyone tries to pet or talk to her she pees. how can I stop this? General Dog Discussions
      My Pickapoo is about 5years old now. We found her when she was a pup not yet one. we have had her fixed and she is up to date on her shots. It just seems when she gets all excited she pees. It does'nt matter if we ask her if she has to go out or if we are loving on her. If anwone comes over and they try to touch her she goes everwhere. we dont know what to do. We love her so much. She is great with kids and is a part of the family. WE NEED HELP!!!!!!

I have a pickapoo and when anyone tries to pet or talk to her she pees. how can I stop this? General Dog Discussions
    • Submissive Urinationdogs may urinate as a sign of submission in the presence of another animal (or person) that they consider dominant. Submissive urination is sometimes seen in dogs that have been abused. However, many dogs that have submissive urination are perfectly normal and from good backgrounds. These types of urination problems seem to be caused by either a lack of neuromuscular control over the bladder or by previous treatment that frightened or intimidated the dog.

• She gets to excited. Our Dachsund does this. When you first come home or when someone comes over - IGNORE her!! Wait until she is calm and submissive. Then you can pet her. As soon as she gets overly excited and starts peeing, ignore her until she is calm again. Repeat this process. Sooner or later she;ll get the point that when she pees, she's ignored!

• I have a Jack Russell with the same problem. When people come over, take her out and make sure she goes. Tell the people that the dog is very shy and please wait for her to come to them in her time. She is scared by what she perceives as aggression from intruders. You have to protect her from strangers everywhere you go. She's small and timid and you must protect her. Why are strangers allowed to touch her? Would you let people do that to a shy child?

• It sounds like submissive urination. This is what to do. DON'T punish her. Whenever a situation is liable to get her excited, try to keep her away from it. For example, when people are coming over, keep her in a crate out of line of sight of everybody, and tell them to leave her alone for a bit. After they've been there a while you can let her out, but ask the people not to reach toward her, let her approach them. Don't greet her as soon as you come home. Let her calm down first before reaching for her. Any time she's excited, try to ignore her until she calms down. If she starts to squat to pee, just take a step back from her and ignore her for a few seconds. Clean up the messes without any fuss or yelling, that will only make it worse. Submissive urination is your dog's way of saying see, I'm nice I won't hurt you, please don't be mad. Getting mad only makes it worse. Use Nature's miracle. Great stuff. Use as much of it as there is pee, let it soak into any carpet or upholstery and leave it. Don't use any other cleaners first, or it won't work as well.

• This is submissive urination. Dogs do this because they are trying to appease the more dominant party (in this case you or whoever is petting her). They do this by making themselves smaller (ducking down), wagging their tail low, licking and unfortunately also peeing. It's partly excitement as well. What ever you do, don't scold her for it, this will only make it worse. The key is to reduce the excitement at entry time and give her a chance to empty her bladder. When you first come home, ignore her. Take her promptly out to pee when you come back in then say hello calmly.A lot of submissive urination can be alleviated with some basic training. Teach her that there are other ways for her to please you without showing how submissive she is. The more confident she is in knowing what is expected of her the better it will get. Teach her tricks to boost her confidence.You might also want to check if she has a UTI. Even a low grade infection can cause a problem. And it's a quick fix.