should i spay my dog?

please read this and not just YES SPAY HER DUHshes 7years old and we do not plan on breeding her why i did not do it when we bought her? well i was just a child at the time and my dad thought it was unnatural and mean when i grew up i found out you…

should i spay my dog?

please read this and not just YES SPAY HER DUHshes 7years old and we do not plan on breeding her why i did not do it when we bought her? well i was just a child at the time and my dad thought it was unnatural and mean when i grew up i found out you…...
    General Dog Discussions : should i spay my dog?...

• should i spay my dog?

should i spay my dog? General Dog Discussions
      please read this and not just YES SPAY HER DUHshes 7years old and we do not plan on breeding her why i did not do it when we bought her? well i was just a child at the time and my dad thought it was unnatural and mean when i grew up i found out you should spay your dogs because she can get pregnant easily and she lives longer but im scared for her to do it my other dog recently died well a year ago but it feels recent she died because of myelomalacia and she got it because she had surgery to remove a hernia and the doctor messed up during surgery under anesthesia and cut her spine or something and since she was asleep she couldn't yelp and then she was slowly paralyzed from toe to head i DO NOT want that to happen again and im scared it might since for spaying she needs to be put under anesthesia should i just let her be in heat 2 times a year? it isn't that big of an convenience to me

should i spay my dog?

should i spay my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • If you've gone this long without her getting pregnant, I'd say you've been pretty responsible, and spaying is not a requirement at this point. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she doesn't breed or escape, and you'll be fine.

• if i were you i would talk to your vet because he/she is the only one who knows how to spay the dog. If the techniques he uses are ones you dont feel compfortable with, make sure your dog doesnt wonder off when you are at parks, and if it does and you do find it... prepare for little pups

• every time your dog goes thru heat, she is at a risk of developing a deadly uterine infection.. pyometra is more commonly seen in older, virgin b*tches. Treatment for pyo? Spay and a course of antibiotics.. because of the deadly infection, complciations during spay increase tho.Consult with your vet.. if he feels she is healthy enough to go thru anasthesia, yes, spay her. I know of breeders who retire their female dogs around 5-7 year of age and they get spayed at that time.. if the dog is healthy, there's no reason why a 7 year old cannot be spayed.

• Many pet owners worry about how their pet will tolerate anesthesia. However, cases of a dog dying from it are very slim. Your last dog actually did not die from anesthesia, your vet just made a mistake and touched her spine which resulted in paralysis. A dog that dies from anesthesia basically goes to sleep and never wakes up. So you don't have the anesthesia to blame here, you have that vet. Just pick a different vet and get her spayed.

• You've been responsible enough of a dog owner for her not to get pregnant for this long that I don't think you need to worry about it at this point. There are some health benefits of getting a dog spayed, but, there are also other health benefits of not being spayed. Vets don't usually tell patients about those health benefits. It's a personal decision on what you think is best in your situation.