My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ???

My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ???

My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ???...
    General Dog Discussions : My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ???...

• My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ???

My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ??? General Dog Discussions

My male dog is neutered and still humps my 8year old son, what can I do about this ??? General Dog Discussions
    • It's a dominance issue. You need to get some obedience training, and have your son also do some obedience with him- this will help your dog understand that the son is still higher in the pack than he is.

• Humping is a dominant behavior, so when he humps your son he is telling him that your son is lower in the pack than him. When you see him doing it go push him off of your son and hold him down by his neck letting your fingers give a bit of pressure on the neck. What you are saying is "no you are not higher than my son in the pack" and your fingers are acting like teeth. He should stop. I don't think this is something your son should try just yet if the dog is very large.

• You take the dog, off your kid, and tell it "NO!". If it repeats this behavior, send it to time out, either put it outside for a while, or in it's crate, or make it do a sit/stay. Whatever you do, you need to make it clear that this behavior is unacceptable.Edit: Thank you "stress free"!!! I've been looking everywhere for reading that disagrees with the "alpha" and "dominance humping" bunk. If anyone ever saw my male chi licking my female dachshund's ears and eyes ever so sweetly before trying to mount her, and then either gaining permission and doing so before I can break it up, or being warned by her with a short growl that she's "not in the mood" and either giving up or starting the process all over again, would quickly see who was in charge of that situation before I intervened! And true to the article, it typically happens after they've been playing a bit. Note: both are fixed.

• Mounting is not a "dominance" issue. Most mounting is stress related, over-arousal and uncertainty with family members. Dogs will often set their sights on children that behave in overly active manners. Teach your child to be more calm around your dog, such as have him train him to sit, or do tricks and your dog will relax more around him.It is important to work on this behavior and dogs that are overly aroused (energy wise, not sexually) can be problematic if the dog decides to take it further and begins nipping. More boys under 12 years are bitten by their own dogs than any other group of victims, and that is always something to consider.This website will explain more: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/dog-behavior