What dogs are good for people with allergies to dander?

My mom has allergies to dog & cat dander, but we want to get a dog. What dogs would be okay to get?

My mom has allergies to dog & cat dander, but we want to get a dog. What dogs would be okay to get?...
    General Dog Discussions : What dogs are good for people with allergies to dander?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What dogs are good for people with allergies to dander?

What dogs are good for people with allergies to dander? General Dog Discussions
      My mom has allergies to dog & cat dander, but we want to get a dog. What dogs would be okay to get?

What dogs are good for people with allergies to dander? General Dog Discussions
    • Poodles, bichon frise, shih tzu, lhasa apsos and...that hairless dog---those are all "nonshed/non dander" dogs. There might be one more, I'm not sure.I have a shih tzu and he does NOT shed!

• Maltese have no undercoat. Their hair is just like yours, which means they have no extra protection when out in cold weather. Many of my family and friends have allergies, but can sit with my Maltese on their lap with no reaction. I think there are a few other breeds, but we're very partial to Maltese anyway!

• Any dog that has a coat of HAIR and not FUR will suit a person suffering with allergies to dog dander just fine. Here is the list from the AKC with links to the breed information and such:http://www.akc.org/about/faq_allergies.cfmAnd some more information on dogs that do well with allergy-sufferers:http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2588Congrats on deciding to get a dog rather than suffering without one:)Life is always better with a dog, even if one does not do well with the dander.And may I note, please do not fall victim to the breeders of the designer mutts. These wreckless breeders lie and say that their "doodles" and "poos" are hypoallergenic, when really, no dog is hypoallergenic. There is nothing more stupid than taking a labrador and mixing it with a poodle and THEN calling it hypoallergenic. Poodles ALREADY make wonderful dogs for allergy-sufferers!!Make the smart choice.

• any dog short haired...they will shed less, but still have dander..you must brush them daily if you have allergies..to rid them of "loose" hairs and this will stimulate their skins for more oils and "less" dander..so to speak..but this may still cause an outbreak of your allergies. Check with a reputable breeder or better yet your VET....Good Luck

• A poodle, definitely. They are very intelligent (Second most intelligent breed, right behind collies -- and collies shed a LOT) and hypo-allergenic, and do not shed. It's best to get a dog from a breeder, NOT a pet store -- that way you know it's a purebred and doesn't have any other DNA that may cause your mom allergies.Don't be swayed by the "foofy cut" that show poodles tend to get... we keep our poodle shaved down (save for a puff on the tail and the head) and he doesn't look ridiculous like most dogs.You can get a toy/miniature poodle (small) or standard (normal-size, the type we have). They're very playful and full of love, and like I said before, hypo-allergenic.

• Poodles are supposed to be good for people with allergies to dander. I am allergic to alot of cats and dogs because of their dander, but have Dobermans and they don't bother me at all. Not a breed for everyone, but they are a clean dog, with a short coat and I have heard from quite a few people that the Doberman doesn't bother their allergies.

• Munya Carr's answer was a good start to the list. However, your mother should meet the parents of the puppy before you agree to get it. Puppies rarely have dander, so basically all puppies would be fine near your mother. However, once it becomes an adult, that will change. Also, each person's allergies are a little different for another's. So what would be good for one person, may not be good for another.Good luck to you!

• Look at a breed from Italy called "Cirneco dell' Etna"; they are medium sized dogs, 25-35 lbs, good dispositions, smart and very easy to train and live with in a home. They look like miniature Pharaoh Hounds, short hair and big ears that naturally stand up. Low amounts of dander and no problems with excessive oil on coats.See website below, we have 2 and are very happy with them-- 4 and 5 years old- have had since puppies. Can be expensive, but there are always rescues that are available to a good home. The Houston breeder is more interested in establishing the breed in the US than making money- http://www.cirneco.com/index.html