How to get old dogs used to a new 8 week old puppy?

We have 2 older dogs. Ones 4 and ones 3. But one of the dogs likes the puppy. And the other dog is terrified of the puppy. How do I get the dog that is terrified used to the puppy?

We have 2 older dogs. Ones 4 and ones 3. But one of the dogs likes the puppy. And the other dog is terrified of the puppy. How do I get the dog that is terrified used to the puppy?...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get old dogs used to a new 8 week old puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to get old dogs used to a new 8 week old puppy?

How to get old dogs used to a new 8 week old puppy? General Dog Discussions
      We have 2 older dogs. Ones 4 and ones 3. But one of the dogs likes the puppy. And the other dog is terrified of the puppy. How do I get the dog that is terrified used to the puppy?

How to get old dogs used to a new 8 week old puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, i would say, give it some time. Same thing happend to me and after a while my older dogs started to get used to the idea of having a new dog in the house. If the puppy is terrorizing your older dogs, then seperate them for a couple minutes then try it again. Give it a try and be patient. Good luck.

• Congratulations on the new pup! But just think in the eyes of the older dogs - they were there first. It's more of a matter of the pup learning to respect his elders. If you have a stair gate, or (I'm not sure if you use one or not) a crate, separate the puppy, and let the older dog go up to investigate in his own time whilst the puppy is calm and submissive. When both are comfortable together, introduce them, giving more attention the the older dog than pup in case he/she becomes jealous. Puppies have a lot of energy when they're awake, and the nipping and excitement may bother the older dog at first. They will watch each others' body language, and will get used to each other soon. It's just like when a new baby is born into the family, you all soon get back into normal routine. With dogs it's better not to rush anything.

• We used a baby gate. Put puppy in area that has a doorway. put gate across doorway and allow the dogs to sniff each other through gate for couple days. Then put older dogs outside or kennel or whereever, let the puppy out to where the puppy can sniff areas of the house under supervision (your older dogs scent should be there if they are indoor dogs as well as outside). Then have someone hold your 2 older dogs on a leash so you have control of them when they start interacting with the puppy.We did that and in about 1-2 weeks, our dogs got use to the puppy.