Can a dog drink too much water?

I know that may sound crazy,but my German shepherd loves the water.She loves to swim,play in the water etc.My concern is that she drinks so much.She will guzzle water,and sometimes I am afraid she is going to be sick.I heard once that dogs can hurt their…

I know that may sound crazy,but my German shepherd loves the water.She loves to swim,play in the water etc.My concern is that she drinks so much.She will guzzle water,and sometimes I am afraid she is going to be sick.I heard once that dogs can hurt their…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can a dog drink too much water?...

• Can a dog drink too much water?

Can a dog drink too much water? General Dog Discussions
      I know that may sound crazy,but my German shepherd loves the water.She loves to swim,play in the water etc.My concern is that she drinks so much.She will guzzle water,and sometimes I am afraid she is going to be sick.I heard once that dogs can hurt their stomachs by drinking too much,but I want her to get enough water.How much is too much water for a dog of about 75 pounds?I have never had a dog love water so much.

Can a dog drink too much water? General Dog Discussions
    • Some larger breed dogs get a stomach bloat, where there stomach flips over, and essentially will kill the dog if it is not treated. I have heard that too much water intake can lead to this bloating, but I am not sure how much is too much. Just try to regulate it. If you see your dog has been drinking for a while, call its name to get its attention on you and off of the water.

• Any mamal can drink too much water putting the kidneys into overdrive and eventually causing them to shut down. However, most mamals have the sense to quit drinking when they're not thirsty. I wouldn't worry about the dog.

• Extreme thirst can be a symptom of diabetes. Bloat is possible - but usually caused by lots of activity on a full stomach of any kind, so be sure to make her stay calm after drinking a lot.My chihuahuas will throw up water if they drink too much at once - "vurp" as we call it. Do you notice your dog doing this at all after drinking? Burping and having to swallow something that came back with it? If so, she is drinking too much. If not, she is ok, but again, limit acitivity after she fills up.