Do you think it should be the law that dogs are trained using Dolphin/Whale methods?

I went to Sea World the other day, and was amazed at how those animals performed.They seems so happy and well fed.Sometimes it did take a few tries for them to get it right, but so what.It got me to thinking about dog training, and thus this question.Do…

Do you think it should be the law that dogs are trained using Dolphin/Whale methods?

I went to Sea World the other day, and was amazed at how those animals performed.They seems so happy and well fed.Sometimes it did take a few tries for them to get it right, but so what.It got me to thinking about dog training, and thus this question.Do…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Do you think it should be the law that dogs are trained using Dolphin/Whale methods?...

• Do you think it should be the law that dogs are trained using Dolphin/Whale methods?

Do you think it should be the law that dogs are trained using Dolphin/Whale methods? Dogs Training Discussions
      I went to Sea World the other day, and was amazed at how those animals performed.They seems so happy and well fed.Sometimes it did take a few tries for them to get it right, but so what.It got me to thinking about dog training, and thus this question.Do you think traditional training should be against the law and dolphin/whale training (purely positive to those not familiar with it) be the only accepted method to train a dog?I will be selecting a B/A and will give one thousand points for the best answer.

Do you think it should be the law that dogs are trained using Dolphin/Whale methods? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Well.. no offence but I totally disagree with using animals in sea world for entertainment when they belong in the wild... I personally used clicker/treat training with my first dog and with my new puppy I am using more of a pack leader, no treat training (I am the treat). She does everything with out requiring a treat, because it is expected of her. It's new to me, but working very well. It's ALWAYS or NEVER, so consitency is key.

• Depends on the dog, sometimes positive training does'nt always work. I say whatever works for your dog goes.EDIT, i agree that dolphins and whales should be in the sea and not at theme parks, except in extreme circumstances.

• Yes I do. Traditional training creates aggressive dogs (genetics has nothing to do with aggression). For YOUR information it all about how you raise the dog and how much love and food you stuff it with.The last 5,000 years in the dog/man history have been an absolute failure! We were doing it all WRONG. Only in the last several decades did we figure out how a dog REALLY needs to be treated and trained. Common sense would dictate the clickers didnt exist 100 years ago...thus, NO DOG TRAINING existed either. Just a bunch of neanderthals running around and abusing doggies....I wish PETA was around to set them all straight.!as for the Flipper/Shamu phenomenon....I only have one question....When Flipper decides NOT to listen to the clicker .... does it mean that its possible that it will run out to a busy street and get hit by a car? I havent quite wrapped my mind around how that works....but I'll get back to you!!!!

• Erm.. so your asking if I believe there should be law that tells me how I should train my animal?? No, I bloody well don't. I train my dogs how I want to train them, anymore laws that tells me what I can and can't do will make me feel like im in a prison.***Edit***I agree with Jen, I also thinking sea world is horrible and all the animals kept there is purely for our entertainment. Look how small their habitats are compared to the ocean.

• My first thought was "I didn't know dolphins and whales trained dogs."Yes, I know. I'm insane.I think if you tried any other training method on a wild animal you would get either no result or mauled or dead. (Ok I'm not letting myself get into horrible training methods that have been used in the past or present, say, in the circus and whatnot.) But if you tried the Koehler method on a bear, let's say, what do you think would happen? lolIt is my preference that wild animals be left in the wild and not trained to do anything at all for our entertainment. That must also be said.Dogs, unlike a wild beast, has a different relationship to human kind. I think positive reinforcement is a must when you train because the dog needs to know when he's done the right thing. When he isn't? What do you do then? That's up to the individual trainer to determine the best course of action to take. (Hitting the dog is not appropriate. Nor is kicking or screaming at the dog. That must also be said, lest anyone think that I'm giving license to engage in animal abuse.) I think a good trainer will know. Also... Not everyone has it in them to train dogs. Just like not everyone has it in them to build cars or fix computers or the plumbing or diagnose and treat a dog's symptoms. There are professionals for that. Sometimes they need to be sought out. ok I've had 20 interruptions typing this so I have no earthly idea whether it makes any sense or not.And I have to go. BYE!

• I have yet to see an abundance of whales/dolphins in the park, being used for assistance, police, military or personal protection work or kept as companion/hobby mammals, so no thank you, as I choose to own canines, & use whatever works for me & mine.I'd decamp to a luxury kennel before living in a house where the dog had to be bribed to be compliant, but only on their terms & never mine. Short of waggling a live bunny when recalling or giving the down command to a high prey drive dog, I have no idea how I could reliably (95% ish which allows for aberrations from the norm) suppress a strong prey which would be against the dog's natural instinct.