How do you believe dogs should be trained?

I asked a question a few minutes ago and got some heated responses criticizing my trainer and her methods! The issue of dog training seems to be a hot topic of debate. So, I'm curious. How do you believe dogs should be trained? What "method" do you…

How do you believe dogs should be trained?

I asked a question a few minutes ago and got some heated responses criticizing my trainer and her methods! The issue of dog training seems to be a hot topic of debate. So, I'm curious. How do you believe dogs should be trained? What "method" do you…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you believe dogs should be trained?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have read through all of your questions so I am going to start with this...It is possible that this person just wants to help you and just maybe for whatever reason felt a connection with either your dog or you or both. Owning my own pet business there are times I waive fees because I do not see the dog getting what it needs or the owner is having a tough time financially. So with that being said I am sure she does not expect you to give her anything at all however at the end of the training I would suggest a gift certificate of some sort would be nice and she would appreciate it. There is a HUGE difference in training and a behaviorist. Any idiot can train a dog basic commands. To truly understand why dogs behave the way they do and how their brain works is totally different. I do believe anyone can study a book or take classes but it takes a very special individual to really understand and be able to communicate with a dog. To understand how dogs work it takes years of studying (physically watching them) in a pack not an individual dog. Again, referring back to one of your other questions I am not sure why your trainer feels as though your dog has been attacked by a dog. You would need to ask her that. It is possible that your dog is not giving off the correct body language. You have stated that you do not know your dogs past since it was a stray. That alone opens the door for many possibilities such as if the dog did not learn proper communication skills, taken away from the mother too young, bad experience with another dog and so on. I would love to hear what her reasoning is. In my opinion you can train to a dog to anything but it starts with trust on the behalf of the dog with the owner. That means both have to trust each other and have a mutual respect. If you can accomplish that you just came over the biggest hurdle in training. Sure you can smack the dog or jerk its collar when it does not listen and yes the dog will learn and do what you want but it is out of fear and nothing more. This does not mean it is going to cringe or shake although some will. You could also train with treats and every time it does something right hand it food but what will happen that one specific day when you don't have one? Will the dog really listen when it needs to? I doubt it. There is not one way of training for all. You have to take the time and learn your dogs behavior and the way it responds. That is how you decide how to train your dog. I have 6 dogs...I can take every one of my dogs and literally pick them up and place them on their back with no fight. This is NOT because they are afraid it is because they trust me. I take all of them to mountains to hike NONE including my deaf dog will run off. They may run ahead to smell something but they always without fail look to see if I am right behind and if we go around a bend they come running back to make sure I am there. Fortunately I had the luxury of raising my pups you did not with your dog. You will have to go with someone who can help you. Chances are with the age of your dog you will never be able to get your dog to trust you 110 %. If he did he would look at you and read your body language to know it is OK when other dogs come around. He would trust you that you would protect him. He feels he needs to protect himself and you may never be able to break that. BUT guess what it is OK that your dog does not like other dogs. I am sure there are plenty of people you do not like and you are not forced to be with them. People can either create monsters for a dog or they can create a super dog. It starts with selective breeding and ends with its owners.