What do you think of Petsmart dog training?

I was thinking of enrolling my puppy into the Petsmart dog training. Good idea or Bad idea?

I was thinking of enrolling my puppy into the Petsmart dog training. Good idea or Bad idea?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What do you think of Petsmart dog training?...

• What do you think of Petsmart dog training?

What do you think of Petsmart dog training? Dogs Training Discussions
      I was thinking of enrolling my puppy into the Petsmart dog training. Good idea or Bad idea?

What do you think of Petsmart dog training? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I am just finishing up. Its a little fast-paced and can be chaotic, depending on your classmates. Be ready to buy a LOT of treats. But they use tried and true techniques and positive training. Its more for you than the dog, they teach you how to train a dog. Your puppy may not come out of class a superstar, but you will have the tools to train it.

• I have on occasion watched their classes in the store and they are pretty bad. They have a tiny little area right in the middle of the store and the instructors are not good for the most part. If you want good training for less, go to a training club as they are not for profits & the instructors are the people who compete in dog show obedience & agility etc trials & they know what they are doing! They will also have large fully matted & padded rings. The best training for your buck plus they are not trying to get you to buy stuff from a store.To find one go to: http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/training_clubs/ or you can use google too.

• Don't waste your time or money. I am a previous obedience trainer, and observed one of their classes. The trainers know squat. Call your pup's breeder and have them refer you to the local kennel club whose lessons are taught by qualified judges and trainers.

• I would never get my dog trained there. I don't feel they are qualified and also after I heard two dogs fighting for quite a bit of time, at least two minutes or so and no one doing anything about it, that's what did it for me.

• I took it with my german shepherd I had when I was in 5th grade and it helped. Shelearned sit stay come heel and some other stuff. Go ahead and take it its a good learninr experience

• Petsmart puppy classes ARE FINE!! The main point of the puppy classes is SOCIALIZATION. Enroll! You should be able to teach the basics yourself, and puppy class is a great place to practice with distractions... but the main purpose is absolutely socialization at petsmart or anywhere else. You want to get puppy play time and practice simple commands in a setting of distraction. I wouldn't take an advanced obedience course there but, come on now folks.

• Well, my personal thought of putting your dog in training at petsmart is that they don't really spend that much time with all of the dogs. Remember, there are plenty other dogs at the petsmart dogtraining. Some of them might be aggressive toward your dog. It's hard for a dog to concentrate on one thing to do when there are tons of other dogs around them. It would be easier and faster for you to train your dog yourself. Ofcourse, you could hire a personal trainer. You can look for personal trainers on craigslist.com. That's what I would do if I didn't want to teach my dog myself. Only if you get a personal trainer or even go to petsmart, you will still have to help train your dog. If I were you, I would train my do myself. There will be no aggresion, and the dog will listen to you more. You will also not have to spend money. I taught my dog myself and she learned great. She now knows how to sit, lay down, beg, rollover, come, stay, shake, and plenty others.

• Hi, i think you would be better spending £10-£20 on a training manual rather than Petsmart as you would get a lot more out of it. I bought 3 books when i got my Boxer dog 1 month ago and found the best was The ABC of Dog Keeping http://www.train-yourdog.com which is a downloadable ebook which only takes 10 minutes to get, that had everything i neeed and was really enjoyable for my dog and me. It also has an Amateur Veterinarian chapter which has saved me lots of money on vets bills, whatever you decide to do good luck!!

• Find a private trainer that has been doing dog sports and dog training for years and has experience with multiple different breed. Look it is possible a Petsmart trainer might be okay at there job it just is more likely you will find a better trainer somewhere else. Usually a dog daycare will do training classes at night so look there first.

• I've watched several PetsMart/PetCo classes over the years and I'm not impressed. First, in most cases the area is too small for the amount of dogs in a training class. At least four feet between dogs is the safest way to keep dogs apart especially those that may be aggressive or are very rambunctious. I also have some concerns about the trainer's qualifications. Most have gone through a training course. However passing a course doesn't mean that you can train just any dog. So the lack of true experience and working with dogs really kind of concern me. Since you have a PetsMart in your area, there are most likely more qualified experienced trainers in your area. Below are some websites that list qualified trainers. Just because a trainer is not on one of these lists doesn't mean that she is unqualified either. It is best to observe a class before putting down your hard earned money. Most trainers will let you observe a class or two without your dog.

• If your dog has any issues, forget it.....they cant deal with it.For basic puppy training they could be okay, depending on the trainer. The one in the store near me is pretty good, but she had her own training business before she started working there.The trainer before her was also good, but the girl who took her place when she had a medical leave was an idiot.Go watch a few classes and see what you think of the trainer you are considering.