How can I become a dog trainer? How much do they typically make?

I'm 18 and unemployed, I've been thinking about dog training. I love animals, and have a lot of patience with them and people. My 8 month old dog already knows how to shake, lay down, kiss, stand up, and is potty trained. I recently taught a 3 year old…

I'm 18 and unemployed, I've been thinking about dog training. I love animals, and have a lot of patience with them and people. My 8 month old dog already knows how to shake, lay down, kiss, stand up, and is potty trained. I recently taught a 3 year old…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can I become a dog trainer? How much do they typically make?...

• How can I become a dog trainer? How much do they typically make?

How can I become a dog trainer? How much do they typically make? Dogs Training Discussions
      I'm 18 and unemployed, I've been thinking about dog training. I love animals, and have a lot of patience with them and people. My 8 month old dog already knows how to shake, lay down, kiss, stand up, and is potty trained. I recently taught a 3 year old dog how to shake as well. I think I have potential, but I don't know where to start or what I have to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Sydney.

How can I become a dog trainer? How much do they typically make? Dogs Training Discussions
    • im not sure if there is any certification or license for a dog trainer but for one you should be good at what you do, secondly you gotta sell your product, you might have to BS a little to get a few clients but if you actually do a good job your business could spread by word of mouth, its at least worth a try. make them need you not the other way around . make sure youre constantly learning by doing research and by experience

• There is a lot more to it than training. There is psychology behind it as well. Trainers have to learn how to figure out what causes a certain dogs behavior. Whether its the owners reactions, or the dog's personality, separation anxiety, neurological issues, etc.Certain breeds have a certain personality. Like Welsh Corgi's can be total jerks. Shar Pei's are very challenging breed when it comes to temperaments ...... What you would need to do is take animal science classes, learn as much as you can about breeds, temperaments what not. Talk to trainers as well to see what you need to do to get your foot in the door.Trainers can make a lot of money. Especially if they are training police dogs. A lot of trainers make bank just by doing private training lessons and using their own dog as a example.

• Enroll your dog in obedience classes, and from there go on to Agility, etc. Hopefully the trainer will act as your mentor. It will take you many years to learn to be a dog trainer, and I doubt that most of them make much money. They do it because they love the job.

• I trained my cat how to do all those things. I trained my dog to crawl, talk, say i love you, stand, play hide and seek, get me a bottle of water, jump, speak, and everything else you can think of except for cook lol.. She is an 8 month old German shepherd and I am only 17.One of the best ways to learn about dog training and behavior is by attending lots of dog training and behavior seminars, workshops and conferences.Generally inexpensive, participants can learn many aspects of dog training and behavior by a wide variety of experts in the field, at a nominal fee (usually about $30-50/day).The American Dog Trainers Network recommends that those learning how to train dogs attend at least two dozen 1- to 4-day seminars and workshops on a variety of dog-related subjects, including as many of the following as possible:The History and Development of BreedsHow To Choose & Raise A Puppy; Developmental StagesHousetraining & Crate TrainingPuppy Training & Pet Dog TrainingCompetition Obedience Training (all levels)Animal Behavior, Behavior Modification & Problem Solving TechniquesEffective Handling SkillsHow To "Read" and Evaluate A DogEffective Counseling Skills; Techniques To Teach Students EffectivelyCanine Health, Nutrition, Medicine (Both Traditional & Alternative),Handling & Training Aggressive DogsHandling & Training Shy, Timid & Phobic DogsDog Sports & Activities (Schutzhund, Agility, Flyball, Freestyle, etc.)TrackingProtection TrainingCanine Anatomy, Structure, and MovementResponsible Dog OwnershipService Dog Training; AAT & AAABomb and Narcotics DetectionSearch and RescueAnimal Control Laws and LegalitiesTrick TrainingConstructive Games; Exercise OutletsHandling and Training Dogs for TV, Film & AdvertisingPet Safety TipsI think business sense in dog training is very important, but what all answers have left out is education and skill. Although there are few requirements to start a dog training business, a formal education and understanding in the science of animal behavior not only effects success in training, but also annual or hourly income. In our area, professional dog trainers who own their business charge between $60 and $125 an hour, or $120 for a class series. Trainers who work for a business and watch a 6 hour video as a form of education make something close to the hourly wage stated in other answers. The average hourly wage is $10.60 (U.S.) which would total $424 per week or $21,200 (U.S.) per year.

• Salary is dependant on where your employed. If you are self employed, then your clientele base as well as your skills ( if you're in charge you set the prices for your services ). If you go the route of starting your own business in training, then you need to take business management course and marketing to make decent money.You want to start by getting experience. Degrees help you look good on paper, but IMO some of the best " dog people " have massive experience and skills with no degree.But its 2012, and degrees and certificates are better when finding a job. Figure out if you want a certificate or degree. Certificates are cheaper but less creditable when compared to a degree. So its best you start now by researching Vet schools and what Animal programs they offer. As well as volunteering or applying at a training school, with a personal trainer, or shelter to get experience. The more experience in this field the more potential you have to be a good trainer and make money. It's best to learn or train under an expert or experienced individual. ( don't just pick anybody that claims they train, research them, find someone with good creditals ).The schooling part is easy. Just make sure its accredited and transferable if you want to further your training skills in the future. You know your schedule, finances, etc so pick something you can commit to that affordable. Make sure the program offers hands on training as well. The best teacher is actual experience. Your 18...so make sure you really want to do this. Read books on training search the web for testimonies of trainers and training issues. The length of time it takes to complete school or become successful. It's not always easy as pie, as you stated you trained your 8 month old dog, which can be and will be different from other dogs you encounter.You have to learn animal care, behavior and dog specific traits. Not to mention, there are over 200 breeds that all have different characteristics, traits, behavior patterns as well as each individual dog is different. Be prepared for massive research and studing. There are so many different techniques of training that you need to get familiar with to see what works for you.I think its great you want to train, but just know its not simple and you don't want to go into something with low expectations. Love what you do and do it well.

• It's hard and doesn't pay that well. Here's some places to look into. I'm going that route myself.http://www.ccpdt.org/http://www.karenpryoracademy.com/Ian Dunbar, Michael Ellis, Leerburg, pfffttBiology and Ecology are good things to know.I'll be back with some more info, I'm drawing a blank right now.BF Skinner and PavlovSophia Yin, Emily Larham.Start volunteering at a shelter training dogs. Experience is basically everything. It's good to know what you're doing but if you don't work with as many breeds and individuals as possible you'll get lost quick.

• Teaching a dog a few cute tricks is not obedience training. Most people can do this. At 8 months of age your dog should be approaching advanced level obedience.You need to understand the psychology of dogs to be a good trainer. There is a science behind dog training. Are you able to read dogs by their body language? This skill is imperative in a good trainer.Find a well respected trainer and ask them how to learn about dog training. If you're lucky the trainer might mentor you and allow you to assist with easy dogs but don't expect to be paid for it because the trainer is doing you a favor.Anyone can call themselves a dog trainer but that doesn't mean they know much. I watched training at a local obedience class one Sunday and I would never take a dog there for training. Maybe the trainers were volunteers because they sure didn't know much.

• Start by going to a dog training class to see how they work and then take classes so that your dog can pass the canine good citizen test. Be sure the trainer is a certified professional dog trainer. The tricks that you taught your dog aren't very useful skills. Can you train a dog to walk without pulling on his leash? Can you teach a dog to drop something he/she has in her mouth on command? Can you teach a dog to come (or stay) on command? Do you know anything at all about what to do with dogs who have bad behavior issues? or how to socialize a dog properly? Those are important tasks. After you attend a basic obedience class then ask the trainer if you can shadow him/her for a week or more.