Why does my dog tip over his food bowl beofre eating it?

He tips it over, then spends time searching all over the floor finding the pieces of food to eat. Why would he do this? Does anyone have at least a guess?

He tips it over, then spends time searching all over the floor finding the pieces of food to eat. Why would he do this? Does anyone have at least a guess?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog tip over his food bowl beofre eating it?...

• Why does my dog tip over his food bowl beofre eating it?

Why does my dog tip over his food bowl beofre eating it? General Dog Discussions
      He tips it over, then spends time searching all over the floor finding the pieces of food to eat. Why would he do this? Does anyone have at least a guess?

Why does my dog tip over his food bowl beofre eating it? General Dog Discussions
    • i gotta agree with the first poster, try a new bowl and keep your dogs muzzle in your mind when you buy it, imagine if you had to eat out of it and if you dont think you would have an issue give it a go!

• Many dogs do that. It could be the dog doesn't like the bowl or finds it to be fun. They do make no-tip food and water dishes. Do a google search. I'm sure someone else will probably provide a link to a manufacturer or two.

• DOGS HAVE WHISKERS AND IF HE FEELS THAT THE DISH IS TO NARROW HE WONT LIKE THAT.THERE MAY ALSO BE A SMELL IN THE DISH HE DOES NOT LIKE OR JUST DOESN'T LIKE THE DISH AMAZINGLY SO THIS HAPPENS QUIET ALOT.

• I have a dog that does that. My parents have the brother of my dog who also does that. I think it was the way they were raised prior to us getting them. What irritates me, is when they tip their water bowl. I have all different types of bowls that I give them, and no matter what, the bowl is tipped. Sometimes I think they like to see the assortment of kibble infront of them. It makes it more like a buffet.

• The dog may not like the bowl it's in, or the dog is just playing around because they find it fun, or maybe the dog gets so excited about eating that it's being clumsy and knocking it over. As long as the dog gets all the food up, I would just enjoy watching it search for all the food.

• It`s a playful habit they pick up from pup. If the dog is beginning to start recently doing this,try changing the bowl and only wash it with hot water without any cleaning detergents as the dog maybe smelling a chemical agent from the bowl. Use a metal bowl rather than plastic as they are easy to clean and cannot get chewed up by the dog.If all fails, just leave it on the ground for him.

• Some do it to get a better bite of the food. Like us trying to get some gravy but it so little and we have 2 tilt the bowl rite? Thats why some dogs do it. But there are some who do it for fun i guess. Oh well, I'm not an animal expert but i love learning about them. i think it would be nice to be a zoologist. Uhhh... sorry bout that. Wat can i say? I'm only 14 years old. ^^