What do you look for when choosing a dog trainer?

Do you prefer:A positive trainer who uses postive motivation and clickersA trainer who was a military/police dog trainerA trainer who promises fast results using methods that include a choke chain or electric collarA trainer who belongs to a reputable…

Do you prefer:A positive trainer who uses postive motivation and clickersA trainer who was a military/police dog trainerA trainer who promises fast results using methods that include a choke chain or electric collarA trainer who belongs to a reputable…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What do you look for when choosing a dog trainer?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you look for when choosing a dog trainer?

What do you look for when choosing a dog trainer? Dogs Training Discussions
      Do you prefer:A positive trainer who uses postive motivation and clickersA trainer who was a military/police dog trainerA trainer who promises fast results using methods that include a choke chain or electric collarA trainer who belongs to a reputable dog training associationI am a trainer and I am looking for public opinions. Just to clear that up for those who find the question strange.I am talking about YOU as an individual, YOUR opinion whatever you are looking for in a trainer. Not what you recommend others.

What do you look for when choosing a dog trainer? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I prefer a down to earth trainer that understand the differences in every dog and has different ways to train based on the dog itself. There is not carbon copy way for every dog. Just like people every dog is different and learns in different ways. Other than that if I get along with the trainer it is a total plus as well.

• do not get your dog trained otherwise it will not listen to you in the future because you didnt train itTRAIN IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

• Clickers for me are a no no - I only use hand signals and a simple good dog or pat on the chestMilitary/police dog trainer are a no no - they think they know everything~Anyone who offers a fast result is a fool because every dog is different...e-collars should be last resort, choke chains are fine if you are shown how to use it properly~ When I was looking for trainers I looked for someone that was more interested in teaching me to teach my dog, if they do the teaching of the dog then the dog will listen to them (the trainer) not you (the owner)OK let me add I have trainers for ODB, Pulling, Personal Protection Sports & Comformation

• A positive trainer who uses positive motivation and clickers - Yes.A trainer who was a military/police dog trainer - Doesn't matter.A trainer who promises fast results using methods that include a choke chain or electric collars - Never.A trainer who belongs to a reputable dog training association - Yes.Mainly, a trainer who I trust and can work with.

• That is a strange question. A trainer who belongs to a reputable dog training association of course. Training is a matter of stimulus response and reasonable care. Clicker response depends on the dog to hear the clicker. Doesn't always happen!!Been here 2, and military/police dog trainers don't always include the family as an important ingredient.People who have worked with people AND dogs understand far beyond the trick/fast training methods. If you want it to last a life time it takes that long to train the dog.Honestly, Dog training for a family takes as much FAMILY training as it takes DOG training. Quick simple fixes are just simple.You get what you pay for and much of the expense is time, quality TIME spent with your dog

• What am I training my dog for? Obedience? Agility? Shutzhund? Flyball? Rally O? Conformation? Am I a kid or an adult? Am I in the country or the city? There are so many factors that depend on the situation that it is not an answer given easily with such a broad question. It also depends on the dog and their ability/willingness to learn. Having a Basset Hound learn Shutzhund simply won't work due to the dog's body type no matter how many times you zap it with a collar. But with lots and lots and *lots* of repetition, you could probably get an obedience title on it. If you know what personality/trainability your dog has, you'll be able to find the right trainer. I believe in "combined training". Using whatever method works best with the least amount of stress for the dog AND for you.

• I'd have to say, one who can "walk the walk". Anyone can belong to an association...means nothing. Anyone can pay to go get certified....means nothing. Most police/military are trained handlers....not trainers. A variety of methods is absolute when training dogs....anyone who limits themselves by saying "I only use positive methods"....or "I use clicker"...."I only use a halty" are people with very limited experience, or have only dealt with simple dogs.So, I Guess that leaves experience, accomplishments and references.