Why do people feel its necassary to tell others they should fix their male dog?

In todays world, with all the information out there, there is not real reason to have your male dog fixed. Worried about over population, guess what, have responsibility on where your dogs goes and what it does. Cancer?? Read the link I pasted. In…

Why do people feel its necassary to tell others they should fix their male dog?

In todays world, with all the information out there, there is not real reason to have your male dog fixed. Worried about over population, guess what, have responsibility on where your dogs goes and what it does. Cancer?? Read the link I pasted. In…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do people feel its necassary to tell others they should fix their male dog?...

• why would you wait until your dog already has cancer to get it neutered. your running the risk of it spreading before it is noticed, then if it does, not even neutering will get rid of it. sorry but i rather have my dog neutered BEFORE it gets cancer, rather than waiting until it already does. seems how your on a kick about other illnesses and health problems. if people would actually take the time to get their dogs tested for health and genetic problems before breeding (like any REPUTABLE breeder would) then people wouldn't have to try and figure out how to take care of these problems.bear - maybe you read wrong but every where i have read about dog bites is 8 out of 10 are from male dog 6 out of those 8 are from UNNEUTERED dogs and 2 out of 8 are from neutered dogs. if you have something to counteract that, please give me a link to show me.

• Well, there is reason for responsible owners to have their dogs neutered. Accidents do happen. And if you're dog is not purebred with the credentials for a stud dog (to be used to improve the breed) you should have him neutered.A dog being used for guarding or a working dog should not be neutered though, it alters their drive (apparantly) but I think that depends on the age they were fixed at. If a dog is neutered when fully grown, it should'nt affect his drive, because he will have gone past puppy stage and the neutering will not keep him in a state of suspended puppyhood.The main reason we hear so much about getting dogs neutered is unlikely to be due to the risk of testicular cancer, but rather to do with the problem of overpopulation of dogs. There are just so many unwanted dogs and pups being put down each year because people don't have their dogs neutered.Even if you think you are responsible (and you may well be), when a dog smells a b*tch in heat, he will do everything, I mean everything in his power to get to her. This means the need for an EXTREMLY secure garden, and total vigilance on walks, it only takes a few seconds! And what if a b*tch comes to him? Even the most responsible breeders of dogs have had accidental pregnancies.So unless your dog is a police dog or similar, or a really good male for stud it is best to have him neutered.And for the reasons of stopping aggression or dominance or other behavioural problems, neutering is only effective when performed on an immature dog that has shown no signs of dominence, etc, yet. It effectivly does not allow the dog to grow up.By the way, dogs that are ever so slightly on the thin side are healthier and live longer than dogs fed more. So there's a tip for you, keep your dogs ribs visible, but obviously do not have him starving. ;)Good luck!

• Hi Mike. The people getting told to have their dogs fixed are the ones who aren't responsible, like yourself, and allow bunches of litters in females and will let their males roam the neighborhood looking for... the females allowed to have bunches of litters. Wow, that was a mouthful but it's refreshing to see a decent pet owner out there. For some reason people allow their pets to reproduce without the for-thought of what they're going to do with the babies, so they dump them on whoever will step up. It's GREAT to see an informed, caring pet owner out there. Pass your knowledge on when you need to. God bless.

• Well, this post is likely going to give me numerous thumbs down, but here goes:I live in a country where neutering and spaying is rather the exception than the norm. We have no stray dogs, nor hundreds of dogs sitting in the shelters waiting for a home. What we do have are laws (puppy mills are illegal, selling dogs below 8 weeks of age is illegal, selling dogs in pet shops is illegal, all dogs must be registered, vaccinated, and insured etc.), and dog organisations, trainers, breeders, vets etc. who make an effort to educate the public. There are of course some bad apples and some uneducated puppy owners who buy from foreign puppy mills, but luckily very few.Our vets seem pretty divided on the issue, but our dogs generally live long lives and are not dropping dead in hordes of testicular or mammary cancer, although yes, a small percentage do and these would most likely have been saved had they been spayed/neutered at a young age, but basically for me it's a matter of weighing up advantages and disadvantages.I'm not against spaying or neutering (e.g. I spay/neuter my cats), and I have sometimes advised a dog owner to neuter/spay, just as I would have my own dog neutered/spayed if I felt it necessary. There are situations where it's the best thing to do for the dog's physical or mental wellbeing - and if you live in a culture where, unlike here, the average dog owner is incapable of ensuring that their dog will not produce unwanted puppies...well, then there you have it.Personally I would not as a default spay/neuter a healthy dog, just as I wouldn't e.g. have my own appendix or uterus removed, unless I had a problem or was in a high risk group.

• Why do you ask a question when you already have your mind made up, you aren't open and willing to listen to other people's answers, you are just going to put them and their viewpoints down, and your best answer will be one of the two people that respond and agree with you.Here you go - from a doctor who has performed Early Spay and Neutershttp://www.danesonline.com/earlyspayneuter.htmThe AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION endorses spay and neuter for the health and well-being of your animals, as well as for curbing pet--overpopulation.http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/PedSpayNeuter.htm

• You need to be very careful of anti-neuter links...they aren't very correct.I have worked in the vet field for 35 years...I have NEVER seen a dog get a problem because it was neutered, even large/giant breeds (I have owned large/giant breeds for many, many years myself). I have seen many intact male dogs who have had very serious health issues because they weren't neutered. Testicular cancer isn't anywhere near the issue as prostrate issues and anal tumors/fistulas are. Also testicular cancer while not as common as other problems can appear and grow a lot faster then what many people realize. it also doesn't always show itself externally and by the time it does it has spread into internal organs. I've seen males as young as 9 months old have some serious issues. Incontinance from prostrate problems...tumors, enlargement..are common in intact males. I've seen way too many intact dogs with anal fistulas/tumors. These are extremely painful and hard to heal.It does NOT hurt a male dog to be neutered!!!! People that spread that kind of stuff really need to spend some real time in a vet hospital and really see for themselves..it would be a real eye opener.Another thing neutering does NOT change personality...personality is what it is period. It also will NOT cause weight gain. excess calories and not enough exercise do that.I personally would not recommend that a dog of any breed/size be neutered before 6 months except under extenuating circumstances..

• They have an agenda. They are prideful and arrogant and think it is their business to police the world. Those are really the main reasons they act this way.Always remember that the love of money is the root of all evil. These people make money from selling dogs. If your dog has puppies, what happens to their income?

• it is the popular thing now to tell people to get there pet altered,while i think most pets should be kept from reproducing(i also feel that way about humans)i think that a great purebred dog should be allowed to reproduce.while i have had mutts that were wonderful dogs,and would have loved to have one of them reproduced,there is no guarantee that any of his puppy's would have been like him. with a purebred the characteristics are usually inherent in the breed.

• So wow! You seem to have a rebuttal for everyone! Your link is ONE vet's article. Can you back that up with MANY more? Or is this just the opinion of a vet who caters to show breeders? Sounds quite biased to me. And so do you. Just so you know, there IS a dog overpopulation. And the reason people are encouraged to neuter their dogs is that lack of spaying and neutering has CAUSED this overpopulation. You may be great at keeping your male away from any females, but you are ONE PERSON. There are millions of other people in this country, and alot of them are not so responsible. So you are great at keeping your dog away from females, but it seems to me that you are not so great at caring what is happening outside your own little world. Pull your head out of the sand and join the human race. We all need to help if we are going to overcome this problem.Now you can rebutt me as well, because, of course, only you are correct here.

• According to the AVMA, 70 to 70% of all reported dog bite incidents are from intact males. The most vicious dog out there are intact males.http://www.avma.org/public_health/dogbite/dogbite.pdf:-)