what kind of dogs can i train to be a police dog?

i want to be in the police dog training business and i am wondering what dog breeds i have as an option.

i want to be in the police dog training business and i am wondering what dog breeds i have as an option....
    Dogs Training Discussions : what kind of dogs can i train to be a police dog?...

• what kind of dogs can i train to be a police dog?

what kind of dogs can i train to be a police dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      i want to be in the police dog training business and i am wondering what dog breeds i have as an option.

what kind of dogs can i train to be a police dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • as far as i know the three most common for a job like that are german shepherds, rottweilers and dobermans, they can be trained to be very loyal strong and incredible dogs, each one also represents different attributes, a rottweiler will be slightly slower then the rest but is a power house, a doberman is extremely fast and is also quite ferocious, while the german shpeherd is also extremely fast and can also be very powerful, the german shepherd is probably the most common dog seen in the K9 units, most forces wont take on a large breed dog simply because of its large stature and that larger dogs dont live as long, and small dogs, well they lack the ability to do some of the more violent aspects of the K9 unit job, hope this helps

• It depends what kind of police dog you want,If you want Public order enforcement dogs, sniffer dog, tracking dogs?There are a few options, the most common being a german shepherd.but there are other breeds like: Labrador Retriever Boxer Doberman pinscher Rottweiler Beagle Weimaraner Basset Hound Cocker Spaniel Dutch Shepherd Springer Spaniel FoxhoundIt all depends on how you want to train them!

• "Dogs come in an huge variety of shapes and sizes, and not every breed of dog is suited for police work. There probably aren't any police Lhasa apsos in the world. The majority of police dogs in the world are German shepherds, although Labrador retrievers and several other breeds (like Breston, a Belgian Malinois, pictured at right) are sometimes used, depending on the specific tasks they will be needed for. The key attributes of a successful police dog are intelligence, aggression, strength, and sense of smell." - http://people.howstuffworks.com/police-dog2.htm

• Not listed in any particular order, but heres a few :German ShepherdsRottweilersLabrador RetrieverBlood HoundsBelgian MalinoisCoonhoundThe hounds are really pretty much only good for sniffing work.

• You want to get into the police dog training business?It seems rather obvious to me you should first research IF policing agencies would actually buy a dog from you. And, like, exactly what you need to train the dogs to do....???????I would bet a police dept is not going to buy a dog trained by just anyone....

• Most people prefer German Shepherds. Why? Because they are huge and sturdy. They have a good nose and police can handle them well. However, they are large enough to get excited and training can be hard. Training a dog like the German Shepherd isn't going to be easy. There are still many dogs fit for this job. If you want a sniffer, get an English Cocker or Bloodhound. These dogs have keen noses. Though they are hunters, they are still used a dogs to sniff out drugs and other things. If you want a large dog to equip the vasts of danger, a Rottweiler is good. They are very alert and can track easily. Doberman Pinchers have the same ability.