What kind of training is best for a one year old weimaraner?

My dog is now a year old, and like I was told, he has gotten stubborn. I've been looking into training methods, and I am unsure which would be the best way to go about this. There is the dog training at the local pet smart, there is this one trainer who…

My dog is now a year old, and like I was told, he has gotten stubborn. I've been looking into training methods, and I am unsure which would be the best way to go about this. There is the dog training at the local pet smart, there is this one trainer who…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What kind of training is best for a one year old weimaraner?...

• What kind of training is best for a one year old weimaraner?

What kind of training is best for a one year old weimaraner? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog is now a year old, and like I was told, he has gotten stubborn. I've been looking into training methods, and I am unsure which would be the best way to go about this. There is the dog training at the local pet smart, there is this one trainer who takes your dog over the weekend and trains him, and then there are AKC certified trainers. Which is best?

What kind of training is best for a one year old weimaraner? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It is unfortunate you waited so long to train your dog, especially when you had been advised to do so. Many places offer puppy classes. Obedience classes can help speed the bonding process and also put you in the driver's seat.Pet Smarts are better than nothing, but not outstanding. At least you would be training your own dog. You would do far better to find a AKC Kennel Club or Dog obedience club (with trainers that have years of experience) and have trained lots of owners AND their dogs (together) including Weimaraners. In fact, your local Weimaraner Club (there are 36 nation-wide) may be able to give your referrals. I do NOT recommend trainers you surrender your dog to. In some cases, they brutally abuse and/or starve the dog. IMO, no competent trainer can train your dog in one weekend. Dogs are not programmable robots, somebody can just "set-up" in a day or two. YOU need to learn to train & control YOUR dog by BOTH of you going to a class and learning how & it happens over 6-8 weeks. Problems come about slowly/gradually & aren't fixable overnight. In most cases, little forms of naughtiness are how your dog got here.Anyone who "claims" to be an AKC certified trainer is misleading you, or lying. (The AKC does NOT certify dog trainers.) They only certify EVALUATORS for Canine Good Citizen Tests (these are NOT necessarily dog trainers) they are people who act as judges/scorers on performance of the test.