What is a reasonable time to get your dog trained in basic commands?

All dogs need training, but how long is too long when taking the time to train your dog? Does this include or not include proofing? If a dog gets trained and proofed in the end, is the person a good trainer regardless of how long it took to get there? I…

All dogs need training, but how long is too long when taking the time to train your dog? Does this include or not include proofing? If a dog gets trained and proofed in the end, is the person a good trainer regardless of how long it took to get there? I…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is a reasonable time to get your dog trained in basic commands?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a reasonable time to get your dog trained in basic commands?

What is a reasonable time to get your dog trained in basic commands? Dogs Training Discussions
      All dogs need training, but how long is too long when taking the time to train your dog? Does this include or not include proofing? If a dog gets trained and proofed in the end, is the person a good trainer regardless of how long it took to get there? I am talking about basic obedience commands like: sit, lay, stay, walking nicely on a leash, heel, leave/take it, come.Also, how do you feel about the "watch me" command?I use the "watch me" command, because I pair commands w/ hand signals. I found he understands what I want better pairing the two up.

What is a reasonable time to get your dog trained in basic commands? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It truly depends on the dog, and how consistent you are with training. Whether it takes a short or a long time to train a dog, you have to do what you have to do to make that dog well trained. I have a 11 week old Doberman puppy and she already knows every command, plus more. It only took me a few times to show her what I wanted her to do, and she learned instantly. Not all dogs catch on fast, but that doesn't make them dumb or that they got bad training. Dogs learn at different rates, and you just have to train all the time with love and affection. If you don't give up, neither will the dog and in time the dog will be what you put into it, it will be great for the both of you. The watch me command is a good one to teach, I use that one too.

• My puppy begins training the day I bring her home. I dont waste time in gymnasiums, or in church basements or in those classes that demand your puppy sit for 30 seconds when its 8 weeks, and then 1 minute when its nine weeks (just an illustrative anology - I dont know what they all do these days). Example: When I got my 8 week old dobe, I took her canoeing at 9 weeks (one week later). That day, she had to down stay in the canoe for about 30 minutes, not because I wanted to show off, or earn some ribbon, but because it was important and necessary (I didnt want to be man overboard and die). I needed her to lie down so that I could paddle. So she did.Next day, we did it again - she was now pretty comfortable, so we went for 1 hour. During that time, she was allowed to get up to stretch- then lie down again. Again, it was important to me, so she did it. Yes, I had her on lead, and I communicated to her what I needed her to do.When we reached camp - it was time to relax. She was allowed to play and be a dog.So, this is it. My dogs have two disciplines - serious and not serious. When I paddle - its serious. When we reach camp, its not (well, not forever, but this is supposed to be a short story)So how long does it take to train a dog - a lifetime. You never stop training your dog because life is not static (unless you live in a bubble). Proofing - when are you every really sure - will your dog recall if it scents a deer in the bush - mine didn`t this morning (that 9 week old puppy is now 3 years). So, they went back on lead, and whenever my dogs are leashed they must heel (not with their head contorted around me because I need to prove I can dominate them, heel means walk at my left side without pulling or interfering with me so that I don`t trip and fall face first into the pavement but also, allow them to see where they are going since I trust my dogs to alert me to danger too)On watch me - no I dont `command` they stare at me (why). The work is integrated into my daily life and theirs, I dont ask them to jump just for the sake of jumping, or watch me just for the sake of watching. If we are in the field and need to climb a fence, we climb it together. Its a bond of mutual respect and trust - and its simple.

• The short answer is..... as long as it takes. 'Watch me' is a great one to teach. Ideally you should incorporate training in to play sessions, much more fun for both of you. Lots of short session all day. Check out http://doglifetraining.com that site has great advice on basic lifestyle skills and how to teach them, helped me put lots of things in perspective.