Is there anyone out there that trains dogs for a living?

Thinking about going to dog training school, just wanted to know if it would be financially feasible.

Thinking about going to dog training school, just wanted to know if it would be financially feasible....
    Dogs Training Discussions : Is there anyone out there that trains dogs for a living?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is there anyone out there that trains dogs for a living?

Is there anyone out there that trains dogs for a living? Dogs Training Discussions
      Thinking about going to dog training school, just wanted to know if it would be financially feasible.

Is there anyone out there that trains dogs for a living? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I personally don't know anyone, but there are people that do. It all would depend on where you live. WHere I am at, you would not get enough jobs to make a living...most people I know only do it as a hobby....after hours and weekends and such....

• I don't, but I can tell you that the guy who worked for the dog training company I used for my own dog, also did dog training on the side because he wasn't paid all that well by the company.

• Depends where you are located. Find a local breed club that has obedience schools, do not use a petsmart. Our local club charges $60 and you get a full 12 weeks of classes. Petsmart charges $200 for 6-8 weeks. Not to mention petsmart and petco are RETAIL establishments. I can't believe how many people in my area use teenage retail workers to train their dogs rather than going to a professional place like a breed club.

• well, if you train dogs for police or military that would be nice... but it depends in which country do you live...oh yes, train dogs of popular or rich people, hunter dogs... when you look this way you have limitless ways to get some money...

• I attended a school in Ottawa called Canadian Canine. I was unable to attend the one that I wanted to go to in B.C. because it would involve leaving my other business unattended.The one in B.C. is expensive but offers an amazing curriculum. It included a term of training service/therapy dogs. I'm sorry that I don't remember the name of the school but I found it by entering Dog Trainer Training in the Yahoo Search Engine.

• No, there is no money in STRICTLY training dogs for a living. Most people in the field are also breeding and have a regular job too. It would be nice if I sat here and told you "yes" but that would be a lie. There are few, very few people who work in the dog field, not training dogs for civilians, that actually make real good money. Working as a bomb dog handler in Iraq, for example, pays $10.000-$12.000 a month. The question is, how bad do you want to go there? Otherwise, look into another field to make money.