Who is responsible when a dog is run over?

Is the person who hit the dog responsible or the owner for the vet bill if the dog is injured?

Who is responsible when a dog is run over?

Is the person who hit the dog responsible or the owner for the vet bill if the dog is injured?...
    General Dog Discussions : Who is responsible when a dog is run over?...

• Usually, the driver that ran him/her over is, but if you let your dog run loose and it happens to run in the road, it's your fault. If it's a careless driver who wasn't paying attention to the road when the dog started to cross, it's there fault.

• If the dog was running loose.........then the owner. If leashed could be the driver........other circumstances might enter into it also.....like being on a leash and bolting out of the owenrs control.

• Actually if the dog If dog was running loose, you would be responsible for all damage to the vehicle.If the guy jumps into your yard and smashed the dog on your property, then he is at fault.simple and short versionIn the road = It is you faultIn your yard = it is their fault

• The owner is at fault you should know where your dog is at all times, they should be leashed outside or in a fenced in yard, or in the house not running in the streets, consider your dog as your child, you wouldnt let your child go roam in the streets would you?

• The owner of the dog is responsible. If there is damage to the vehicle you would also be responsible for that. You are the one that is suppose to have a dog on a lease or enclosed and maintain control at all times.

• Well this is a very interesting questions. This is truly a question of motives. If the person wanted to run the dog over its obviously there fault but if the dog wanted to die its there fault. Now i know it sounds crazy but ill get to the point in a minute. So in theory if you did not intend on hitting the dog and the dog did not intend on getting hit. Its obviously just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Therefore its what we could say it is "dog slaughter" and it is no ones fault. If you really want to find out whose at fault and who should pay its both of you. The driver for not watching out and the owner for not watching the dog. Therefore it cancels out and the owner should pay because they are responsible for the damages to there dog as if the car was damaged it would be the drivers responsibility to pay for damages.

• Depends on if there is a leash law where you live and if you were abiding by it. Here, we have open range law with cattle, that means if you hit a cow-it is your fault. In rare instances you can hold the rancher responsible. I would say as the pet owner, it would be your responsibility to pay the vet bill.

• From the perspective of the driver..As long as you were on a public street.. it is the owners responsibility to keep the dog out of it.If you were driving through the owners back yard (on his private property) you would be.If you feel in any way responsible for the accident.. help him out with the bill.. because you want to.. not because you have to.

• I am really not sure, but I believe the owner would have to pay the vet bill, depending on how badly the dog in injured. I do know that in some areas of the country, the owner must pay for the damage, not the driver. I believe it should be a split bill, but that's just my opinion.I hope this helped, like i said, I'm not really sure.

• the person who hit the dog is responsible to check and see if the dog is wearing dog tags. they should look to see if there is a name or phone number on the tags, or if there are registered numbers. the person is responsible, but not liable, to take the dog to an animal clinic/hospital. the owner of the dog is responsible for all costs associated with the care of the dog.sorry didnt realize what u were asking but this is what i think is right

• Is it a legal requirement in your area for all dogs to be kept on a leash at all times? If so it's the owners and the owner could be entitled to pay damages to the person's car if any. If not it would depend on the circumstances, the driver wouldn't have to pay the bill untila judge in a civil court decides the person has to. Unless of course the person deliberately targeted the dog, in which they should be arrested and face criminal charges for being cruel to animals.

• Deep Breath.... attempting to remove the emotional elementIt depends on the laws in your area.If there is a leash law & the pet was loose, then this is the owners (as it should be... the dog shouldn't be in the road)However, there are instances when an animal gets out unexpected.. and I don't know how that wwould work if the owner is able to be identifiedin the one incident I know of... the only reason the driver of the car was made to pay the vet bill when she hit the dog was because she was violating law by driving drunkThis happened just outside my front door & I get nauscious thinking about it... I am the one who took the poor dog to the vet as I had no way of identifying the owner... and in the eyes of the EmergencyVet practice.... that made me responsibleHowever, consider that she stopped as soon as she heard the yelp & realized what happened (she could've done a hit & run). I heard it to & went running out of my house to find the injured dog on the concrete. I knew most of the dogs in my neighborhood at that time & this was not a dog I was familiar with. We have leash laws in Birmingham, AL. .... back to what I was saying... she stopped (which I believe was the right thing to do)... I called 911 to see if I could get help with transportation for the dog as I am physically unable to drive & my boyfreind was out of town. She waited, the police came. She gave her info. The police officer offered to drive the dog to the vet because he felt it was obvious she was to drunk to drive. He asked her if she needed to use the phone to get a ride home & adivsed her to park her car. She decided (now remember she was intoxicated & not thinking alltogether clearly) to get back in her car & as soon as she decided to pull forward, he arrested her for drunk driving... he, she, the dog & I all went to the emergency vet clinic. he dropped me & the dog off. The emergency vet clinic would not treat the dog unless I gave them a blank check written out to them (a practice I totally disagree with).. they checked for a microchip.. there wasn't one... we still had no way of knowing who's dog this was.In the morning when she went before the judge, he asked her to pay the vet bill on the basis that she broke the law by driving drunk; therefore, she was responsibleThe poor dog had to have over $3,000 dolars worth of surgery. During the dogs recouperation, we named him "Peanut" and cared for him ourselves. During the recovery, a good freind fell madly in love with "peanut" and adopted him..... he now has a wonderful home :)

• Same person that is responsible when you hit a deer with a car. As far as your insurance company is concerned you are responsible for the damage to your car, but the insurance company could care less about the deer (or the dog) Has to be a person before the law requires you to yield.

• i have seen and talked to the undercover policeman in the car in front of me with very long black hair and very long black hair face beard hit a very light brown color small boxer like dog on the backside of the right hip with his large older 4 door car and after i stoped him and got his license plate number i was too scared to take him into the police station and sure wish i would have had a telephone with me i never reported it and the owner of the street dog should be required to keep the dog out of the street i think it did not kill the dog and i think it did not disable the dog