I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?

I found a dog about a month ago, with a collar but no identification tag. a day after i found him i posted signs all over the community. And checked to see if he was micro chipped and nothing. No one has claimed him for a month. Because the dog i found…

I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?

I found a dog about a month ago, with a collar but no identification tag. a day after i found him i posted signs all over the community. And checked to see if he was micro chipped and nothing. No one has claimed him for a month. Because the dog i found…...
    General Dog Discussions : I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?...

• I think a collar does not determine whether or not it was wanted. Maybe somebody just put a collar on it to tie to a fence. Don't worry about keeping him... and congratulations!If somebody wanted to keep him, he'd have ID of some kind, or they'd at least understand if he wasn't found.

• it certainly doesn't mean his owners don't want him - perhaps they just didn't see anything you posted...if i were you, i'd call the local pound, as well as any shelters in your area to see if there have been any reports of a missing dog that matches the one you found...i'd also put an ad in your local papers - many newspapers offer free lost and found ads...if, after another month, nothing comes up, then i'd think it's pretty safe to say that he's yours to keep....however, you may want to look up the laws in *your area* on how much time must go by before you are *legally* allowed to keep him....as contrary to what some people wrote, the laws concerning such vary by location - therefore, if the owner DID come forward at some time in the future, if it was within the allotted timeframe, you'd be required to give the animal back to the owners.

• If he had a collar on, then that means he has a owner, but you cant determine if the owner wants the dog. Post signs saying found dog and give a description of the dog. If no one claims it within a couple weeks then you have the right to keep the dog. Check the lost and found section of the paper to see if someone reported the dog missing.

• well you never know if the dog is really missed. even if it didn't have an ID tag, but its been so long it would be ok to keep it i guess. If you still don't feel right, often you can contact your local news station and sometimes they will put up a thing on the news with a pick and they tell everyone to contact that news station. channel 3 news in connecticut does it almost everyday

• My dogs do not wear tags, as they come off so easily when running in the woods.As for micro chipping, not everyone has assess to that, so none of those factors mean that the dog is not wanted.I would call the local animal shelter and tell them everything about the dog and leave your name and phone number.Then, if no one claims him, you can keep him without feeling any guilt!

• First off I want to tell you what a great job you did taking a dog in off of the streets! And since you put a lot of effort into trying to find his owners then you can keep him. He was most likely abandoned. We found a black lab on the hill behind our house and did the same thing as you. We ended up keeping her. Best of luck with you new addition to the family!!!

• I would check with your local dog pound and nearby towns (if you think the dog could have crossed a town line).Have you placed you signs in HIGH traffic areas? Near Costco? Near Walmart? If you have done the above (the people would have called the local pound if they wanted to dog back and assumed it lost), then the dog is yours.

• no, it is a bad idea to keep him just yet. first notify the township department. they keep track of dogs and their owners. the owner may have reported that they lost a dog. it would be horrible to keep it if the owners still want it

• the owner could have lost the ID tag, but at this point the dog should be yours. Just because there isn't an ID tag doesn't mean the owner doesn't want it. They could have lost him on a visit or something but, the dog is yours by now!

• I think if he had no collar then it would seem that he was not wanted and was just let go, although...when let my dog out in the backyard, I don't put his collar and id tags on so I don't let him out of my sight because if he managed to escape he'd have no collar on and someone finding him might think I don't want him. I would be devastated though. So I think maybe if you still hold on to him for another month, then 2 months would be sufficient. The problem is, the dog could be far away from home and the posters you put up might not be seen by the owner. Did you call all the shelters in the city and within a 100 mile radius to see if anyone reported such a dog missing? I would do that. If you did that for me and it was my dog, I would kiss you and give you a reward forsure!.