I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?

I found a dog about a month ago, with a collar but no identification tag. a day after i found him i posted signs all over the community. And checked to see if he was micro chipped and nothing. No one has claimed him for a month. Because the dog i found…

I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?

I found a dog about a month ago, with a collar but no identification tag. a day after i found him i posted signs all over the community. And checked to see if he was micro chipped and nothing. No one has claimed him for a month. Because the dog i found…...
    General Dog Discussions : I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?...

• I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner?

I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner? General Dog Discussions
      I found a dog about a month ago, with a collar but no identification tag. a day after i found him i posted signs all over the community. And checked to see if he was micro chipped and nothing. No one has claimed him for a month. Because the dog i found had a collar but no ID tag, does that still mean that his owners wanted him? We want to keep him now, do you think at this point we can?

I found a dog with a collar but no ID tag, does that mean its still wanted by its owner? General Dog Discussions
    • In general law, 2 weeks to a month with no claim. It's yours.People put collars on dogs for leash's majority of the time && don't really think of putting tags on it. I'd say the dog is pretty well yours though. Apparently they weren't looking to hard for it.

• If no one claims the dog, I think you can definitely keep him.But if the previous owner does see a sign you put up at some point, and wants the dog back, I think you'll have to respect their wishes.

• i think since its been a month you might be able too...but just because the dog doesnt have an ID tag doesnt mean the owner doesnt want them, my dogs wear their collars but i dont have their tags on them.

• If he still had a collar on, i think it's possible that the owner still wants him... I know that my dog doesn't have any ID on her but she wears a collar, the only reason being that every time we put one on her she tears it off somehow. However if it's been a month and you've done everything you can think of to find the owners I think it's very possible that it's okay to keep him.cheers

• if you loved something you loved and didn't put a "contact if lost thing" on it would you want someone who found it to keep it? Of course they want him back put up found signs in neighborhood

• are you sure he was thoroughly checked for a chip? and no tattoo?I would still keep looking and let all the local vets have your number. I think its best if you can find the dogs owner but if he isn't claimed by them in the next few weeks I would get him chipped in your name and keep him.

• i think he is still wanted but maybe lost try to broaden your search but keep him for now contact vets and shelters to make sure if someone's looking for him they can find him

• Check with the humane society too, make sure the owner hasn't called there looking for him. Some tags get broken or just fall off, that doesnt mean the dog isnt wanted. But after you've done everything you possibly can to locate the owner and it HAS beena month. I'd say he's yours.

• Most laws say that if you've made an actual effort to find the owner (did you check with the local humane societies/veterinary offices/newspapers?) usually somewhere after 2 to 4 weeks, the dog is now legally yours. However, if you have not made a concerted effort to find the owner, then the dog is not yours and could be considered stolen property.

• I would keep searching. You never know where he came from. But I honestly would say that he is happier where he is if he is still there. He may have just been let go or escaped because he knew there was something better waiting for him. I strongly believe in fate and maybe fate meant for him to stay with you.

• well if you can't find the owner, I would say you have the right to keep him. But the dog could have wondered from another community. The owners might or might not still want him because he did have a collar. The ID tags could have also fallen off. If he loves you and or your family, yes, you have the right to keep him =]

• Yes the owner probably wanted their pet, but if you tried to find the dog's home and you had no luck, then I guess you got yourself a new pet. But if a dog is like property then it's not legally yours until 90 days go by.

• I would keep him since it's been a month now, and no one has claimed him.Since you put signs in the neighborhood and no one claimed him most likely who ever owned him pretty much didnt want him anymore or just didnt care. He deserves to stay with you since you have really taken care of him and have been there for him for the past month.