How do I know if my dog still has ticks/fleas?

I got rid of my dog's last tick and he hasn't had any fleas or ticks for a while. But he still scratching in the same place where all the fleas were. Is it becuase the bumps that the fleas left is making him itch? or maybe their microscopic?I have been…

I got rid of my dog's last tick and he hasn't had any fleas or ticks for a while. But he still scratching in the same place where all the fleas were. Is it becuase the bumps that the fleas left is making him itch? or maybe their microscopic?I have been…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I know if my dog still has ticks/fleas?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I know if my dog still has ticks/fleas?

How do I know if my dog still has ticks/fleas? Other Pet Discussions
      I got rid of my dog's last tick and he hasn't had any fleas or ticks for a while. But he still scratching in the same place where all the fleas were. Is it becuase the bumps that the fleas left is making him itch? or maybe their microscopic?I have been pushing his fur up and I have been using the fontline, but he still scratches.I use for my dog: Hartz- Advanced care- 3 in 1 Kills Fleas, Ticks, & mosquitoes. 3 monthly treatmeant- Keep out of the reach of children

How do I know if my dog still has ticks/fleas? Other Pet Discussions
    • He could have an allergy to the bites. I had to put my pup on some steriod pills for about 3 weeks because she had a reaction to the bites even after the fleas were gone. You'll want to put frontline on them incase there are any lingering fleas that you just can't see (if you haven't already). Check with your vet about getting them an injection or some pills to help with the reaction. I've also put Cortisone cream on my pups spots where she was itching because she was chewing her self raw in parts and she stopped itching immediately. That in combo with the pills and she has been itch free for some time. Good luck!

• Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they are not there. Dogs tend to lick 'em right into their digestive systems sometimes trying to get rid of them. So, sometimes a bath helps because it separates the hair and you can see. Take time and look through his coat. What kind of flea treatment did you use? Make sure it's high quality or else you're just paying for a useless liquid/tablet. I use Frontline Plus and then on occasion I give him a Capstar tablet if he has been around dogs with fleas or seems to be extra itchy.Also, in response to your additional details... the bites will itch for awhile and he may have other insect bites, like mosquitos that Frontline doesn't protect against.